1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wallpaper

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, May 24, 2021.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of suggesting that I could use the rest of my holiday allowance decorating the lounge. To save having to skim the walls, I will use wallpaper but not having bought any for several years, it seems the current market has less choice. I will let the ladies decide on the colour/style as long as the paper is easy to hang, does not show the joints and doesn’t bubble.

Some of the prices I have seen are really steep.

Any recommendations?

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

E mail Carrie at Downing Street. She has been shopping for some recently I believe.

beatnik69, AndyTake2, Zou and 6 others like this.
  3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

One rule regarding the pattern. No straight lines.
    Walls and corners are rarely perfectly straight so don't make matching strips together any more difficult than it is.
    Better still no matching at all.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

White emulsion and pictures rules.

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood and GeoffR like this.
  5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

FTFY

Catriona likes this.
  6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I seriously considered wallpapering in here for 20 seconds before realising if I got patterned paper it would not work with the artwork and if I got plain wallpaper then why not just paint? Especially as I have a friend prepared to help with painting but no-one offering to help with wallpapering!

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood and Learning like this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

These days you can get shades of white. White with a hint of something else.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I haven’t hung wallpaper for years so things may have changed.

To make someone in the future really, really, really hate you use woodchip paper and gloss paint it. For added malice use to cover loose plaster.

Avoid close patterned vinyl unless you are a dab hand at hanging. It stretches when wet and, if you take too long, what matches at the too will be 2” out at the bottom. We did a kiddies bedroom once and head are supposed to fit bodies, even for cuddly creatures.

9. LesleySM

I don't like magnolia or white emulsion etc. To me they always make it feel like you're not planning to stay (case in point my friend who will help me with the painting has just done his flat in white because he's hoping to get a job in Edinburgh and will then decide whether to sell or rent his flat out)

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood likes this.
  10. LesleySM

I'm thinking white with a hint of green or blue for the kitchen

Learning likes this.
  11. PeteRob

Always work from a vertical. Never, ever, start from a corner or end on a corner.

Edit: Buy a plumb bob - as essential to paper hanging as big scissors and a pasting table.

12. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I was taught to always start in the darkest corner ( so the pattern mismatch was hardest to see). I used to make a vertical just under a drop width from the corner, and paper from that. The first drop would just go round the corner.

Learning likes this.
  13. PeteRob

Yes I framed it poorly. I meant never try to match an edge to a corner, always work into the corner and cut.

John Farrell likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We papered our hallway/entrance area, which was a pretty fiddly space. Chose one of those vinyl types that goes on dry, you paste the wall and then position the paper, with a degree of flexibility as it can slide on the paste a wee bit. Made a tricky job easy.

15. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The last paper I used, in the hallway of our house in Helensville, back in 2007 was prepasted - just soak it in the trough for a while, and pull it up (the ceiling was 3.3 metres high). The paper was easy to move about on the paste layer to position it.

16. dream_police

I once pasted poster type wall covering on quite a large wall in my daughters bedroom (including around a small chimney area) of the New York skyline including Brooklyn bridge. Lining that up was fun. I must say though, it was a cracking job. I wouldn't do it again though!

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood and Catriona like this.
  17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think it also depends on the condition of your walls.
    In my old house I went for a heavier quality paper - Sanderson, with a tiny repeat pattern under the dado rail and a larger pattern above.
    Another that looks good quality is fionahoward.com. [​IMG]

However, if your walls are smooth and ready for paper, I'd just pick one that takes your fancy! If you have a lot of wall to cover, a small repeat pattern might save you a lot. :)

Bazarchie and Zou like this.
  18. dream_police

I removed wallpaper yesterday in preparation for re decorating and having some plastering done where I have removed some wood trimmings etc. The state of the wall under this wallpaper were old paint has come way would have made me wallpaper again, as it is though, the plasterer is coming today to plaster and skim 4 walls.

[​IMG]wall by Nigel G, on Flickr

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I would love to hang new wallpaper here but strongly suspect it's what is holding most of the flat up so it stays. I like the idea of the 'paste the wall' stuff!

Zou and Catriona like this.
  20. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

No need to buy a plumb bob I used to use a length of string with a large nail on the end of it.
    If using lininig paper (my idea of decorating is to hang lining paper then emulsion it) then heavier paper is generally easier to hang and gives a better result. On no account use B&Q recycled lining paper. I accidently did and had to restrip the wall I had hung it on - bubbles and lurks everywhere which I could not brush out and did not even shrink on drying - foul stuff.

Bazarchie and Zou like this.