1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Wales :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 13, 2020.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

So what are they?

S

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

WATER or Tarn only tourists call them Lakes mainly

:)

What is the difference between a lake and a Water in the Lake District?
    Only one body of water, Bassenthwaite Lake, is traditionally named a lake. Larger bodies of water in the Lake District are generally named as mere or water, whilst smaller ones are denoted by tarn.

https://www.visitcumbria.com/lakes-and-tarns/

3. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Bassenthwaite Lake ?

Mere's and Water's , i.e Windermere and Coniston Water .

IIRC there's just the one lake in the Lake District .

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

But they're all still lakes in geographical terms.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

To be clever, Bassenthwaite Lake is the only one with Lake in its name. But I’d still call them all lakes.

6. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

You were typing quicker than me , and answered your own question ! :)

7. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Geography considers the physical features, especially the surface features, of a region, area or place. More specifically, the geography of water considers the physical water features, especially the surface water features, such as watersheds and the streams, lakes, swamps, etc within watersheds.18 Aug 2016

It is easier to ignore a person than to argue, I am sure the locals are happy ;) ;) ;)

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

A lake is defined in geographical terms as a body of freshwater surrounded by land on all sides. You can call it a tarn, mere, water, Loch, lough, or whatever, it doesn't alter the fact they are lakes.

9. steveandthedogs

Unless it's a pond, of course.

S

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Especially if you are wrong:rolleyes:

When I've visited there they seemed remarkably happy to live in the Lake District. One even told me Windermere was the largest lake in England.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Careful now or I'll start calling your Welsh mountains hills;)

Gezza, neilt3 and steveandthedogs like this.
  12. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Loch's are a mixed up bunch though and are not all lakes by any definition .
    A lake by any name is a body of fresh water surrounded by land regardless of if it is fed by rivers , streams or just surface water draining through the soil in such as a mountain area .

This fits for some loch's , but others are the sea that just has land on three sides .
    Please explain .

13. steveandthedogs

Well, compared with Chomolungma or Chhogori I suppose they are.

S

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

They're Scottish. They're known for being awkward up there.

Gezza and neilt3 like this.
  15. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Just tell them the Yorkshire has the highest in Britain though ! ( Malham Tarn )

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Just from a bit of googling. I think Windermere is probably a lake!

"The word 'Windermere' is thought to translate as "'Winand or Vinand's lake'."

"Its name suggests it is a mere, a lake that is broad in relation to its depth, but despite the name this is not the case for Windermere, which in particular has a noticeable thermocline, distinguishing it from typical meres"

"Windermere is long and narrow, like many other ribbon lakes, and lies in a steep-sided pre-glacial river valley that has become deepened by successive glaciations."

17. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Well , sure , if it's not a lake , it's certainly a bloody big garden pond !

18. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Such bodies of water are certainly not always lakes. Scotland has but a single lake.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Tarns in the Lake District are a type of lake and are the result of glacial action which formed a cirque(corrie). The terminal moraine sealed the outlet of the corrie causing a tarn to form. A mere is also a lake. Meres, tarns, waters, fresh water lochs are all just particular types of lake. Sea water lochs are not lakes because they are open to the sea and are tidal.
    That's as I see it.

20. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Wrong. Loch Ness alone holds more water than all your lakes, tarns, meres whatevers in the whole of England and Wales. It therefore pretty obvious that lakes, meres, tarns etc. are merely (deliberate) varieties of loch.
    Give my regards to Loch Windermere the next time you go for a paddle. We for our paert will now refer to "Loch the lake of Mentieth".
    W

steveandthedogs and MJB like this.