1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wales and Portmeirion

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by tazio35, May 12, 2008.

1. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

Off to Wales on holiday in a fortnight. Staying somewhere rural near Fishguard. Any suggestions for places I should scout out as locations? We're definitely going to Portmeirion on one day - any ideas for interesting things to shoot there? Flickr is full of lots of similar shots...

2. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

You haven't said what type of things you like to photograph :D. My first choice from Fishguard would be Skomer, but there are several castles, innumerable beauty spots and superb coastlines to see in Pembroke.

Rgds
    Tony

3. Mikerocks

Mikerocks Well-Known Member

Portmeirion is a VERY long way from Fishguard. It will take you the best part of 3 hours to drive it.

Skomer, St Davids, Freshwater west, Tenby, Ramsey Island, Caldey Island are all beautiful places. TBH the whole coast around Pembrokeshire (with the exception of the oil refineries in Milford Haven - though some people like that sort of thing) is fantastic.

Mike

4. tazio35

Good point! :eek: I like moody black & whites, but I know one of the local galleries is having a print fair themed 'fun, fun, fun' in the summer, so something jolly and colourful might be good idea, too.

I like the idea of castles.

5. tazio35

I know, but it's nearer than it is from Cromer, so we're determined to do it.

6. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

As suggested I would go to the St. Davids area where you have the cathedral and there's St. Nons Well/Bay. There are too many bays with great photo opportunities to mention in this area. Near to Fishguard you have Strumble Head light house, Pwllderi is well worth a visit for the views, great sunsets, and to the North of Fishguard you have Dinas Island, (a headland), where you can do circular walk around the headland, start at Pwllgwaelod or Cwm yr Eglwys.
    Lots to take pics of in the area, I'm off that way in August for a hol. have a great time.
    Regards
    Ray

7. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Can't argue with that lot. Skomer is a must. The puffins have arrived. Get the first ferry of the day and get there at least an hour before it leaves to ensure a place on the first one (and no..I'm not joking) .

The Pembroke coast around Stackpole Head to St Govans Head and on to Stack Rocks and The Green Bridge natural arch etc is stunning. Barfundle Bay is lovely. Don't bother with Pembroke (unless you want to visit the castle). It's a dump.

8. hil26

hil26 Well-Known Member

If you are going to Portmeirion - best advise is to get there early before the crowds, so it would be an early morning start from Fishguard

9. hil26

hil26 Well-Known Member

Harlech is almost on the way to Portmeirion (or on the way back) from Fishguard - also Steam trains can be found in Portmadog - only a hop, skip and a jump away from Portmeirion.

10. Fozzybear

Fozzybear Active Member

I've just come back from south-west Wales - St David's is well worth a visit, the cathedral is very photogenic:

[​IMG]

It cost £1.50 for a photo permit to shoot inside, but if you want to use a tripod its something like another tenner! I shot handheld with my 10-20mm though:

[​IMG]

As Hwntws says, taking a short walk south of the city to St. Non's well/bay is also good - a great section of coast path here! Wasn't very good for photography when we were there as it was lunchtime and the light was a bit hazy, but was still very nice indeed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stayed at a cottage in Dale and took the bus to St. David's one day and really liked that, you go all along the little coast roads and see a lot! There's a bus service to Martin's Haven (where the boat leaves from to go to Skomer Island, but the first one is a bit late to get the early boat - we ended up walking there from Dale to be sure of getting on the first boat - it's about five miles).

We were a bit early for puffin chicks, so didn't get really close to the puffins, but they were flying around us while we waited to get the boat back to the mainland, and there were lots sitting on the water.