1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voigtländer VF 101 shutter - does it need batteries to fire?

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Kitchen10, May 10, 2016.

1. Kitchen10

Kitchen10 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I came across a Voigtländer VF 101 today in a shop and when I opened the back, wound the lever and depressed the shutter button, nothing appeared to happen (although there was a click sound). It takes 1.5V (not mercury) PX625 cells and I'm reluctant to buy four batteries just to see if it works. Does the shutter need battery power to operate? It looks in clean condition and the battery compartment is in good order. Do you think it's worth £20?

Thanks,
    Kitchen10

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^In other words it needs battery power to work.

I don't think it's worth £20, but that's my opinion. It looks a typical manual focus film compact from it's era.

4. Kitchen10

Kitchen10 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the prompt replies. It seems like a very well-built piece of kit and it's absolutely tiny for a rangefinder (think Rollei 35 size), so I think I'll give it a go.

5. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

If you want to try it out, Small Battery Company do alkaline cells PX625A or LR9 for £1.50 each if you buy two or more. Silver Oxide batteries are £5.80 each for 2 or more (S625PX/PX13). Worth £6 for the alkaline ones to try it, but silver oxide would be best.