1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Views on blogs?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KMBurnett, Jan 19, 2018.

1. KMBurnett

KMBurnett Member

Hello,
    I was wondering what peoples views where on blogs for photography. I know someone people use them to get more traffic to social media pages etc and to talk through their particular shoot. I was thinking of doing it but wasn't sure if it actually is worth it?

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

What would be the aim of your blog? Blogs are easy to start, but demand constant updating, if they are to be of interest.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. KMBurnett

KMBurnett Member

I was thinking would be a platform to explain my shoots and open up for feedback on them and to try and build an audience

4. John Farrell

Why not go ahead and start one - see how you go?

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Start one, enjoy notoriety while you have it, then stop.The internet is littered with once good but now failed boring bloggs.

6. John Farrell

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

One of my Granddaughters started a blog about fashion . She kept it going for some years including through her degree course at the London School of Fashion and now she apparently makes money through it.

It seems that some companies pick up on such blogs, ones with loads of followers I think they are called and 'subsidize' the blogger.

She's also got herself a job as 'social media manager' for a large fashion chain. I understand that was on the back of her blog as well.

So it's not all doom and gloom - go for it.

MickLL

8. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

I ran a hiking blog for 8 years and it was a great way to show off my trips with video's and pictures. There was even a time when I was reviewing and testing equipment for outdoor manufacturers, it was enjoyable but hard work, especially writing up the regular trip reports.

The way I always looked at it, was I was doing it for myself and if others found it interesting and wanted to follow that was great, towards the end I found that after a long trip away, I didn't really want to sit at a keyboard and type up 1000+ words with video and pictures to go along with it.

It all depends what you want from it, if you enjoy writing and sharing pictures then go for it. If you at looking for 10000+ followers and a massive social media following it takes hard work and a lot of dedication.

John Farrell and EightBitTony like this.
  9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

It would probably be just as easy to start a Flickr account or something similar on another platform. You can describe your shoot and people are free to comment.

10. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Its very hard to get feedback on any of the social media platforms, Flickr, Instagram blog all require interaction with the people looking at the images and at best your'll get a "nice shot" and a like.

Posting in the exhibition forum here, would probably get you more feedback than any of the social media already mentioned.