1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Very very new please help

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by monkeys bunny, Jun 13, 2011.

1. monkeys bunny

monkeys bunny Well-Known Member

I hope this is in the correct place.

Im very new to the art of photography and have just acquired a Nikon D5100 with the 18-55 lens kit. I have been trying to take pictures of wildlife but this lens really doesn't have the distance i need. As i am a novice in the greatest sense of the word i do not want to spend thousands on lenses and have been looking on ebay etc. Could you tell me, do any Nikon Lenses fit this model?

Thank you for any help you can provide me at all to get me started

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

3. monkeys bunny

Thank you for that, i have taken a look see but cannot seem to find were it tells me what lenses fit the D5100. i really need to know if all Nikon Lenses fit this model and if any other makes do?

thank you for your time its greatly appreciated

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

The D5100 is exclusively designed for use with AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses that are equipped with an autofocus motor.

So, any lens made by Nikon which has the letters "AF-S" or "AF-I" in the name.

Also, any third party lenses (for example Sigma or Tamron) that have a built in autofocus motor.

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum! Basically, all new Nikon lenses will fit the D5100, however, the D5100 lacks a focus motor in the body and so it will only auto-focus with lenses whihc have their own motors. These lenses, AFAIA, all have "AF-S" in their names.

You can use other third party manufacturers' lenses too, provided they are have the NIkon mount. The designation for inbuilt motors vary from brand to brand but I found this list on Wikipedia which should give you a guide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nikon_F-mount_lenses_with_integrated_autofocus_motors

As you said, you don't want to spend thousands on a new lens when you're just starting out, but you can get some lenses up to 300mm for reasonable money whihc will give you a lot more 'reach'. They will however have small maximum apertures, the price you pay for not, err, paying a high price, so you'll need to up your ISO and shoot in good light to keep your shutter speeds up. Also, your ability to control depth of field won't be as good as with faster, more expensive lenses.

Having said that, don't discount the lens you have. Yes, you can't get frame filling shots of wildlife but let's be honest, unless it's a rare beast we've all seen them haven't we? And how many of them could have been taken at the local zoo or wildlife park? Why not try to capture wildlife in context, including the environment? You'll have to search out the bigger beasts, but as with many types of photography the real skill isn't in composing the image but in getting in the position to take it in the first place and this would be a good challenge to learn this.

6. monkeys bunny

Thank you both so much, that is very helpful. I am intending on taking a basic course to help me get to grips with all the technical terms and what they mean in terms of the final photograph but it doesnot start until July and I want to get out there and get a feel for it now!

Once again, thank you

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As Barney replied - "Wildlife" covers a lot of ground. If you mean garden birds for example then to take a shot that fills the frame with a blue tit means getting very close even if you have a very long lens. The best thing to do is look for pictures that are close to what you want to achieve and see what equipment is being used. If you look on Flickr for example the image often has exif data attached which will tell you the lens in use. The forums - exhibition and appraisal - on this site often have wildlife photos.

8. monkeys bunny

Thank you all very much, as i have said im only just starting out and its greatly apprechiated that you have taken the time to help me out. I really like birds and nature and would have liked to have taken a closer image of this heron for example but from the only view point i could get this was it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    and i wanted to get the Puffins, which i did kind of get then had to use the crop to get it to actually look like a puffin and not a dot, the ganet turned out slightly better though.
    Do like other subjects as well so shall keep reading on here and experimenting to try and get better and to a responable standard. Thank you once again for all your help. If you would like to comment on the pics and give me a few pointers that would be great.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was wondering if you were thinking birds. This is as hard as it gets. You will have to find an enthusiast to help you. The best thing to do with your pictures is to put them on the appraisal gallery one at a time - this is the forum for commentary - say you are just starting and you will get some positive advice.

10. monkeys bunny

thank you, yes i saw that gallery post after my last post, sorry.