1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very curly film

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Malcolm_Stewart, May 1, 2021.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Yesterday, helping a friend clear a house, we came across an uncut roll of processed 35mm FP3 negatives. I've offered to scan the negatives, and at the moment I've got the film in soak in dilute wetting agent, in the hope that the film will dry flat overnight. There was no way I could scan the negatives as they were - far, far too curly.

I'll report back later.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Try an Essential Film Holder? Film slides in uncut and each frame is held on all four sides.

S

3. Malcolm_Stewart

That's a new one on me - interesting website, many thanks.
    I'll persevere with soaking the film, and hopefully it will be flat enough later.

I don't seem to have trouble using an Epson 4870 PHOTO for my scans, but I have been at it for many years and thousands of photos of all types.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Will a bit of heat help soften it?

5. Malcolm_Stewart

I've scanned my curly film, and whilst soaking it in dilute wetting agent, and drying overnight improved matters somewhat, it's got to be the most bent 35mm film I've scanned, and somehow it seems to have conquered the laws of optics in that the scans of this very curved film (at 1800 lpm) seem to have done an adequate job. Out of the 37 exposures, many were of family, and around 6 were of a London to Brighton VCC run. But, when?
    I must keep the negatives under pressure, and hopefully they will flatten over the next few weeks, and perhaps I'll re-scan for a comparison.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

You'll be able to tell from the number plates.

All right, all right, I'm going.

S

Zou and Laurence Cochrane like this.