1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very cheap Sony Alpha NP-FM500 batteries at Argos.

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Roger_Provins, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

2. john39

john39 Well-Known Member

thanks Rog was thinking of getting one but this made up my mind

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Amazon have clones as low as £10.49, Slightly lower capacity, 1400mAH as against 1650mAH but ok for a back up. Also a twin pack of 1600mAH for £27.50.

4. Roger_Provins

I think I'd rather pay more and get an original item.

5. Dorset_Mike

I've been using clones in my Minolta 5D for about 3 years with no problems. Maybe get about 10% less shots per charge but I rarely shoot enough to discharge a battery in one outing, I also have a clone for my recently acquired A350, too soon to have a verdict on that insofar as number of shots per charge but it works fine.

I've never understood the philosophy of having to have the original manufacturers overpriced branded item when there is a perfectly satisfactory substitute at a considerable saving.

For example how can anybody justify the cost of a Minolta/Sony branded remote cable, usually £25-£40, when you can get a wireless remote which works up to 100M for about £12 - £15, or a Sony badged Tamron lens with about 50% mark up, OK I think one of them has an upgraded AF speed, for most people is that really worth a 50% or more price hike?

6. Roger_Provins

I don't disagree with you on some points but to spend 1900 quid on a camera body and then get cheap knock-off batteries (which could invalidate a guarantee) seems a little pointless. At 25 quid I really wouldn't start trying to find some even cheaper.

7. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up Roger, all similar alerts gratefully received! I've put it down to Sods law that I managed to miss your original post, and have just bought two at my local camera store at £40 each. [​IMG]

8. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

£25 is a good price, I paid £40 :(.

Personally I get a certain aesthetic pleasure out of my equipment being just so with genuine Sony bits and pieces. Not that it improves my pictures. :D

9. Dorset_Mike

As far as I know there are at least 4 Tamron lenses badged by Sony, the 11-18, 55-200, 18-200 and the 18-250,

The 18-250 Sony badged has improved AF gearing giving faster AF than the Tamron, not sure if the 18-200 AF has been done; the 11-18 was also badged by Minolta. Apart from the AF gearing mentioned the only other differences are cosmetic.

10. Roger_Provins

Looking around the web for the best prices for the 18-250mm lens I found at Amazon UK the Sony version is £380 and the Tamron £353. That's a long way from a 50% difference :)
    The Sony has better (faster) focussing, different coatings and some say different diaphragm blades - aside from the cosmetic differences of course.

11. Dorset_Mike

In the case of the 18-250, yes the Tamron price has gone up, but the 55-200 at Bristol cameras is £69 for the Tamron, £129 for the Sony, The 18-200 at WHE is £173.99 for Tamron, £396.99 for Sony.

We could probably go on finding examples to prove our own case, but in most cases the Tamron can be found for considerably less than Sony, and with little if any significant difference.

12. john39

john39 Well-Known Member

thanks again Rog mine arrived today and is on charge at the moment ready for my trip downunder in April

13. raceman

raceman Well-Known Member

£20.99 on argos now

14. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Just checked on the net, and the system quoted me £89.99 each!!

15. raceman

raceman Well-Known Member

Have a look at the Argos Ebay site

16. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul. I wasn't even aware that they had one! :eek:

17. TallPaul

TallPaul Well-Known Member

I believe the Sony 28-75/2.8 SAM is a Tamron as well.