1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

very cheap large zoom lenses?

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by ChrisBrookes, Nov 13, 2005.

1. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

on the internet possibly ebay i came across some site selling something like 650-1300mm zoom lenses for 170 quid or so. Now was i dreaming ? or are they real and if they are real does anyone know of anyone who has one, because it sounds too good to be true, any comments would be appreciated many thanks from chris b

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Oh yeah, we've seen the adverts for these T-mount stop down metering lenses before and had a discussion about them on the old AP site. The conclusion was that stop down metering/slow maximim apertures/loss of any AF and any coupled metering combined with a VERY dim viewfinder view meant that these lenses simply weren't a "bargain"....................certainly not for any modern type AF digital/35mm SLR anyway.

cheap isn't always cheerful...........or even usefull!

BigWill

3. ChrisBrookes

thank you, i suspected that sort of reply would be the case, i shall not waste any money on those !!!
    cheers from chris B

4. BigWill

Might be ok if you used one on a manual focus camera and could put up with the lack of coupled metering and the dim viewfinder view................but for a modern AF camera..................nah, I'd give it a miss! If it looks too good to be true it generally is in my experience! :(

BigWill

5. ncmoody

ncmoody Well-Known Member

6. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Hi!

Nothing that good use of monopod or tripod can remedy. I think it depends more on your manual focussing skills perhaps. As long as you know how to use a monopod or a tripod with those lenses (i.e. on a tripod, you fasten the lens to it not the camera, the same with the monopod but the way you use it require a bit more practice than the tripod)it all depends on your focussing skills and how good your eyes are. I use a 500mm mirror lens (yes I do, don't shoot me) and at times with a tripod (or sometimes using the tripod as a monopod) I can get shutter speeds as low as 1/15 at f8 and get a sharp photo at ISO400. So there are other factors to consider, but I would dish out the money on the lens for the simple fact that you can learn and improve your skills with it, if not for that fact that you may get some very good close ups and make a bit of cash doing paparazzi type of work!

Regards,

Provia_fan

7. ChrisBrookes

my eyes are pretty good!!! however i dont think i will bother with this lens. paparazzi!!!! you dont get too many celebs in oswestry shropshire !!! i am going to get a 2x teleconverter however which i will use with my 75-300mm lens , just a jessops one for about 35 quid, why are minolta ones four or five hundred quid??

8. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

'Cause the minolta ones are designed to work with only a specific number of Minolta Pro 'G' series lenses and will not cause any (or very little) degradation of the image unlike the Jessops one which does (I know I have one) OK for most non Minolta converters it means that you can fit them to almost any minolta fit lens, therein is probably the explanation of the quality degradation.
    Also if you put a 2x converter on your 75-300mm lens you'll lose AF. If you are going to look at converters then on most of the older minolta user sites the Kenko range seem to get good right ups especially the Pro range, which is what I'm considering upgrading to.

HTH

9. BigWill

I think the Jessops one you are referring to is a four element design (though I stand to be corrected) and will not give very good optical performance, particularly with a zoom lens. As it is a 2x converter you will also effectively loose two stops of speed on your lens so if it's maximum aperture is f5.6 at the long end then it will effectively now become a slow and dim f11 optic! With the expensive minolta teleconverter you are getting a far superior optical performance from it's APO design, you'll also only loose one f-stop of speed as it's a 1.4x converter and it's been designed to match perfectly the optical construction of the minolta lenses it was designed to work with.

Teleconverters are an optical compromise at best with any lens but the maker specific ones give a far superior optical performance to a cheap 4 element jobbie sold by Jessies.....................hence the price difference. As an amateur though you may be prepared to accept that optical compromise but I'd advise you to try one first as you may be extremely disappointed at the performance you get from such a cheap alternative.

BigWill

10. ChrisBrookes

mmmmmmm a lot to think about, why does everything have to be so complicated and expensive, i would love to be able to buy all minolta branded stuff but its just not feasible, i think perhaps i will concentrate on getting the best from what i've got before getting anything else. (tho a 5600hsd would be nice (santa please!!))
    cheers all from chris B

11. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Not only paparazzi work, that was kind of a joke example. Your Animal and bird photography would definately get a boost and between using a teleconverter and buying the said lens, I would go for the second option.

Teleconverters degrade image quality and you loose two stops of light. Consider that for the money and give the quality (not the best but not that bad either)it is better than the converter.

Regards,

Provia_fan

12. ncmoody

Here is an alternative suggestion

Get a M42 version of eBay Item number: 7560932091 and couple it to your minolta with either Item number: 7560698789 or Item number: 7562235964
    If you want to see the quality of this lens [​IMG]
    taken with Olympus E-300 using Vivitar 400mm f5-6 and a M42 to 4-3 adapter
    Full size is Here

13. ChrisBrookes

where would i get an m42 version of said lens ? i take it the one on ebay isnt m42 as it is a canon fitting i think it says ? very good big detailed photo
    cheers from chris B

14. ncmoody

It took me 3 weeks of watching on eBay to find mine. I paid about £40 inc. P&P. I learnt about these fantastic lenses in a local independant camera shop, they had a M42 version so I took my E-300 and the adapter and shot a couple of pictures through it with a monopod, very impressed until he told me he wanted £120 for it.

15. dave_h

dave_h Well-Known Member

How about a 1.4x converter? That would make the 300 end the equivalent of about 420mm (ish). This equates to 610mm in APS-C digital field of view terms.

Isn't that big enough? :)

or £300 gets a 135-400 F4-5.6 Sigma APO. Pretty good output on the K-M SLRs but not the quickest AF in the world. I've got one and it's fine for wildlife, if that helps any?!

16. ChrisBrookes

i have been looking here there and everywhere at everything to find the best compromise, and to get the images i want i would have to spend thousands on a lens, i wouldnt mind 135 to 400 but it seems a bit too close to 75 to 300 really , a 50 to 500 is about 750 i think so i may wait a bit and get something like that, you can also get a 3 times teleconverter from kenko, ooh i dont know!!!! :D