1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VC7 grip

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by jhill, Dec 17, 2001.

1. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Anyone tell me what type of batterys the grip takes and how many.
    Also, can you still mount the camera on a tripod with the grip attatched?

jhill

Never turn your back on reality-reality has very sharp teeth.

2. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

John mate,

The VC7 grip for the Dynax 7 will take either 2 CR123A Lithium Bateries or 4 AA batteries, I personally use 4 AA NiMh rechargeables in the grip with the CR123A's in the Body with the abillity to switch between either, it may add to the overall weight but I find that it ballances the camera much better.

Hope this is of help
    PS check the manual about AA batteries If I remember you can't use AA zinc chloride or AA lithium batteries in the grip!

Regards
    RonM

3. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Ta for the info on the batterys, Ron, but you didn't say if it is possible to tripod mount the camera with the grip attached. (Bugger my God-awful spelling)

jhill

4. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Sorry John,

Late at night and I didn't properly read your enquiry in full, the VC7 grip has the standard fitting for a tripod to be fitted. I'm presuming you're considering adding a grip to your 7, I can only say get it! the grip improves the ballance of the camera esecially with larger lenses and the plus point is you can use NiMh (metal hydride rechargeables) in the grip with the CR123As' as backup in the body, therefore no more running out of batteries at that critical moment (for Me and Will that would be Jeri {Seven of Nine} Ryan coming out the shower).

Hope this answers the question in full this time!
    Regards
    RonM

"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely" (Auguste Rodin)

5. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Excellent! Now I know what I want for Xmas. My wife will be both relieved(that I've finaly made my mind up) and skint! (shame)

jhill

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

John,

Glad to have been of help in sorting out your Xmas quandry. Fit the grip on, insert batteries and "Get Out and Get Shooting". Now all you'll need next is the 5600 HSD Flashgun, I can highly recommend that piece of kit too!, maybe for your birthday?

Regards
    RonM

"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely" (Auguste Rodin)

7. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

While I admire many things about Minolta, one of the things which I HATE about them was their insistance in producing a hot-shoe that can take only Minolta type flashguns. I regard that as a supreme arrogance and a re-inventing of the wheel in order to protect their own intrests. Yes I know you can get an adapter to convert the shoe back to the standard type, but that is hardly the point.
    BigWill

8. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

You can fit Metz guns to a Minolta via an adapter (same as any others). So its hardly a big deal is it?

I have discovered photography. Now I can kill myself. I have nothing else to learn. (Picasso)

9. BigWill

It's certainly not a big deal Tim but it certainly is annoying that you have to use an adapter to fit any kind of conventional flashgun. Well, it would annoy me if I actually owned a recent Minolta camera....which I don't......so it doesn't really annoy me at all. Wonder if it annoys the Minolta guys though?
    BigWill

10. TimF

it certainly is annoying that you have to use an adapter to fit any kind of conventional flashgun. Well, it would annoy me if I actually owned a recent Minolta camera....which I don't......so it doesn't really annoy me at all.

That is so wonderfully Irish!! Brilliant. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

I have discovered photography. Now I can kill myself. I have nothing else to learn. (Picasso)

11. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will,

One of the reasons behind the differing fitting for the Minolta flashguns is that there is a fair bit of info travelling to and fro between camera and flash, which is probably one of the reasons why Minolta Flash units have always been rated. It also means you can't inardvertantley fit a flash unit that could potentially damage your camera!

RonM

12. BigWill

That doesn't seem to bother any of the other big five camera manufacturers. Call me an old cynic Ron (You're an old cynic Will) but it strikes me as a rather clever marketing ploy to put people off buying flashguns other than Minolta.
    Big(Cynical)Will

13. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I've got the 3600HS "D" already. What I want now is the macro ring flash or twin flash (can't make up my mind which).I can small the plastic in my wallet begining to melt at the thought of it!

jhill

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I don't think it is that clever, actually. One of the reasons why I bought into the EOS system and not the Dynax one was precisely this. The camera (7xi, from memory) was about as good as the EOS 100, and both were streets ahead of the F601, but the fact that I could use my old flashgun helped sway me to Canon. (Of course, the fact that I never have, and instead now own two Canon guns shows how irrational my decision was, but that's beside the point!)

Nick NRIPN
    Anything too stupid to be said is sung
    (Voltaire)

15. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Will,

I've actually heard that Nikon do not recommend using anything except Nikons own make flashguns with some of their more recent models as there's a known incompatibility problem with a number of OEM flashguns which can in some instances 'fry' the electronics in the camera.
    As regards other flashguns for Minolta the option to buy an adapter for 'standard' flashguns or buying Minolta dedicated versions of OEM flashguns are available, I started with a Cobra 700 AF unit!
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not Nick so sometimes am) but are not some of Cannons own flashgun family, specifically dedicated to one or two specific camera bodies/models?

RonM

The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do (Bagehot)

16. BigWill

You could well be right re: the Canon dedication thing Ron. The only difference being that if you want to use a totally non-dedicated flash such as the Vivitar 283 on the Canon you can, while on the Minolta, you can't, you will require an adaptor to convert the hotshoe to the "normal spec!"! (Bummer!)
    BigWill

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sort of - there was the 200M, which had no TTL connections, for the EF-M (rubbish flashgun, rubbish camera) but which could be fiotted to any camera with a hotshoe, and the ringflashes which are said to be only for certain lenses, but aren't - just you need a Cokin "A" adaptor ring to mount them, or maybe certain bodies with the latest one. Also, the D30 will only use E-TTL flashes. That aside, there's a huge amount of compatability in the EOS system, and as Will rightly points out, you can use a Vivitar 283 without an adaptor.

Nick NRIPN
    Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

18. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I got the grip and I agree with yo that it improves the "feel " of the seven which I am quite supprised at as I thought the 7 felt beautiful before hand.
    Overall I am very impressed with the 7 and it makes photograpy a pleasure.

jhill

19. BigWill

Well I think they should have called it "the 7 of 9" It would have increased sales no-end and I'd have bought one like a shot! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(Imagine, a camera named after my darling! Sigh!)Will

20. TimF

So, can we take it that if Leica made an M7 of 9 you'd see the light? /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif