1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Variable ND filters

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by gray1720, Nov 15, 2019.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Have you got round to trying the filter yet, Adrian?

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Only by putting it on the lens and twiddling, bright light and opportunity to have a go have both been in short supply since!

beatnik69 likes this.
  3. beatnik69

I got a new Rollei filter holder with CPL and ND soft grad yesterday, so am looking forward to getting out at the weekend and trying it.

4. gray1720

If I get a chance I'll have a go too.

beatnik69 likes this.
  5. gray1720

Weather was shite all weekend...

6. beatnik69

Yep, same here.

7. gray1720

I did actually have a go at using this early on in lockdown and it was very apparent that the Black Mamba wobbles when I press the shutter button!

So... having saved X squid on not buying a big stopper type filter, it looks as though I need a remote release. I was just about to ask who had what when I tried another form of words and found one that (a) didn't have to come from China and (b) isn't via Amazon. Bonus - a whole fiver!
    I was thinking about the chap who bought an Austin Healey Sprite on this album, and then bought accessories....

[​IMG]

8. beatnik69

You could use the timer release, if your camera has one. Set it for 10 seconds or so. That should allow the vibrations to stop before the shutter opens.
    I got out the other night to try my ten stop ND. I'm going to have to turn on the long exposure compensation as there were a lot of hot pixels in the sky. Exposure time was about 5 minutes.

9. gray1720

The trouble with that is that I'm after arty cricket photos with lots of movement (if we ever get to play again...), so the timer will probably just record the batsman adjusting his box after the ball has gone by!

10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

there's an art to that...

11. gray1720

As it happens, I got a remote release for a whole fiver, now I just need some cricket to take photos of...

And a microscope to see the locating pins for the release socket!