1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Vanguard shoulder bag

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by dazdmc, Mar 9, 2020.

1. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

I've been thinking of a small shoulder bag big enough for a DSLR and two lenses for the last couple of weeks, low and behold I get an email from AP this morning offering one if I take a 3 month subscription. I'm seriously considering it but does anyone here have this bag? If you do then what are your thoughts on it?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’m all for more people buying AP, gift or no gift! Every time the subject of bags comes up on here the discussion goes one way - no bag is perfect and most end up buying several bags. I favour the traditional shoulder bag. They are a bit chunky but you can put them down and they won’t fall over, and you can lay the camera on top too. They are not very ergonomic, as it is bad for your back to carry an unbalanced load, so I wouldn’t hike with a big, full one. Built-in rain covers are useful but fiddly. Don’t wait to get caught in a downpour before you find out how it goes on.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The problem with bags is that many of them don't seem to be designed for photographers. I've made a few mistakes over the years, I do like LowePro though. I've never really considered Vanguard kit to be all that good personally. On the other hand if you want the magazine anyway you have nothing to lose!

4. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

I already have a couple of bags. A lowepro rucksack that is used when I'm away for the day, it's big enough to fit some waterproofs and food along with a couple of bodies an lenses in a separate compartment. A small old style rectangular bag that I carry in the car but I find it bulky and uncomfortable. It also doesn't zip shut and I've almost lost a couple of filters after they fell out through the side of the flap.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have a lowepro rucksack too, it is basically a shoulder bag with a small day sack fitted on top. Ok for carrying stuff from A to B but a right pain to get the camera out, especially if there is anything much in the top.

If they are giving this Vanguard bag away as a gift on only 3 months subscription then it can't cost much - better to take your stuff down to a camera shop and find a bag that it fits. Best to do it at a quiet time of day as it takes up quite some space working down a row of bags taking the packing out.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Neither have I but they have been around for a while so the must be doing something right. I have Lowepro, Crumpler and Billingham bags, all well made but I tend towards using the Billingham ones as they seem to take a battering without showing it. Of course none of these makes are particularly cheap.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Price!

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, all this looked interesting, so I checked out the AP subscription page. No bag offer, just...
    ap-sub.jpg

well, even if my Mum hadn't died several years ago, I suspect she wouldn't be all that thrilled to get AP each week.

Though she did enjoy the year's subscription to the BBC Good Food mag I got her one Christmas...

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The cheapest shoulder bag on their web site is just around £30, not that I would find it the slightest use but I suppose it must be ideal for somebody. However decent sized bags start nearer to the £100 mark with the most expensive being only £130 so I suppose they are relatively cheap. I'll stick with Billingham, thanks.

10. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

I went for it anyway, the subscription was reduced to £25 for 3 months and for the help I've had in here over the last couple of months it was worth it. If the bag is any good then it's a nice bonus. I will of course do a little review when I receive it for anyone that's interested.

Craig20264 likes this.
  11. dazdmc

dazdmc Well-Known Member

Well I said I would give a review once it arrived, but after many months of waiting and a few emails it still hasn't arrived. Doesn't look like it ever will either. Pretty shoddy from magazines direct who no longer have the subscription. Oh well, at least I got to read the magazines which at least turned up every week.

Craig20264 likes this.
  12. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Free gifts are a very inefficient way of trying to give people something they might find useful.

When I subscribed to AP over a decade ago (which I was planning to do in any case, to build up my knowledge of digital before switching from film), I had a free gift of a tripod. It arrived promptly, but was a pretty rubbish tripod (I don’t know whether AP had ever reviewed it). It had a plastic 3-way head, which sagged under load. I did make use of it, because it was much lighter and more portable than my Benbo Trecker. One day I wasn’t careful enough when closing it, and it took a slice out of my finger (rather ironic, because I was always more concerned that the Benbo would crush my knuckles). But a few years later, on a trip to the States, I set my camera on it in a breeze, noticed that the camera was flapping about, and decided I would get a steadier shot hand-held! That did at least prompt me to buy a quality tripod that was compact enough for travel.

When I bought my digital outfit, based on a Nikon D90, from Park Cameras, I got a free gift of a Canon shoulder bag (no, I can’t remember why I got a Canon bag for buying a Nikon outfit). It was far too small for my outfit, and anyway I use a rucksack-style bag, because much of my photography is when I’m out walking. My son used the bag for a spell; it’s currently storing my D90 and 17-55mm, which I’ve been keeping as backup since getting a D800 and 24-70mm.

Chris

13. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

14. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Bags (groans)
    Oh Geez!!
    Gave away a load of crumplers, Lowepro‘s and tamrac’s earlier this year
    I still have several Domkes. Plus a couple of slingshots.
    The last time I used a bag (domke f2) was as a day bag for flasks, water, sandwiches last week. A compact was added just in case!! Very comfy.
    Its just occurred to me, I rarely see people sporting camera bags these days. We went to the east coast for a day out last week Didn’t see anyone with a camera either come to think of it.

15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I see a lot of people with cameras generally, like many things, I think if you're looking for it, you'll see it.

Camera bag - check
    Camera - check
    Stepladders - check

20200711-M50-IMG_3691_x800_hq.jpg

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have, too many, camera bags but the one I expect to see quite a lot of use, once we are allowed to travel is a Billingham Hadley Pro, it will take a D4, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 and a 13" MacBook Pro plus all the accessories essential to using such things. I took it to Italy and the Adriatic last year and it did all that was required of it.

I also have a huge LowePro full of old AF lenses and film bodies, a smaller LowePro containing I don't know what and a couple of Billingham bags one of which has DSLR bodies and my main lenses plus far too many batteries and a host of memory cards the other has an F5 and a couple of lenses. Somewhere there are an F801, an F90X and a Pentax SFX plus sundry other items of spare kit. It has taken us over 30 years to accumulate this assortment of, largely, unused kit. Including at least 10 bags.

No wonder some members don't see people carrying bags, based on my experience 90% of them are sitting in cupboards gathering dust!

17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I use my Lowepro Photo Hatchback 16L AW all the time, and if I'm not using that one, I'm using the larger one (22L?). I love them. Can only really get a single DSLR and two lenses in the big one, and one DLSR with a single lens in the small one, but when I'm walking about that's all I need.

I have a Manfrotto bag that's supposed to be able to take a DSLR+70-200mm lens attached, but I never use it.