1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UV0 filter recommendations

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by idv, Dec 30, 2001.

1. idv

idv Member

Hi all,

I've just become a happy owner of Dynax 5 from Jessops (price matched to £243!). Unfortunatelly, they didn't have any filters of the right size. Since then I've checked all shops I know in Cambridge and it seems they are all suddently out of stock.

So, if any one can recommend where to get them from in Cambridge or around or by mail order I'd appreciate it very much.

Also, any opinions on whether Multicoated Hoays are worth it, or a simple Hama will do (I don't want to overspend if it makes no difference on the standard Minolta 28-80, but neither to compromise its quality by a cheap filter) are welcome.

Thanks,

Igor

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

If this is mainly to protect the front element it certainly isn't worth spending pots, but a multi-coated filter will be better in-extremis.

Having said that, always use the lens hood. It will give better protection if the lens takes a knock, and reduce flare etc.

I have discovered photography. Now I can kill myself. I have nothing else to learn. (Picasso)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you're leaving it on the lens for pictures, get an HMC or better still an S-HMC. If not, the cheapest possible.

Nick NRIPN
    Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.

4. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Igor,

Would agree with Nick, if you are going to leave the filter on all the time then get the best you can afford, cause the cheaper filters will cause vignetting at the wider angle end of your zoom, personally I use Hoya super HMC Pro 1 filters on my Wide lenses!

Hope we've been of help!
    RonM
    "Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely" (Auguste Rodin)

5. idv

idv Member

Thanks for all replies!

I'd like to get an HMC, but the problem is I'm flying off for a short holiday on 2 Jan and certainly want to use my new camera, but being a new owner I'm very precious of it ;) and don't want to use it without a filter.

So, the challenge is where to get it in two days (local suppliers don't have it)? Or is it better still to buy one in Amsterdam (any shops recommendations)?

Thanks,

Igor

6. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

If you are in a hurry just get anything, even a Jessops own brand, to protect the front element and get the Hoya recommended by the others when you get back.
    Today I went to a wildlife park, I had my best lens on, and If I hadn't had a UV filter on the end, the over inquisitive Rhea would have probably scratched the lens instead of the filter and I would have felt suicidal and bloody stupid for risking a lens for the sake of the price of a filter.

jhill

Never turn your back on reality-reality has very sharp teeth.

7. idv

idv Member

Just bought a standard Hoya UV filter. It says "coated on both sides" though it's not the same as a proper HMC judging from the price.

Anyway, at last I've got something to put on the lens and can start using the camera ;)

Thanks for all replies and Happy New Year to you!

Igor

8. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

About HMC. I purchased a red filter in this form. It was a complete pain to clean and even using just a normal soft photographic cloth it ruined the coating. It went sort of purple and looked very messy, it was like I'd used it for 5 years and I'd only had it 10mins. I don't know if it was a fault but Jessops soon gave me a refund (after they had tried cleaning it only to make it worse!)

Mario Greppi FRIPN
    www.dreamphotos.org
    www.streetphotos.co.uk