1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Using the flippy screen like a twin lens?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Feb 29, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

With the dark nights still here and absolute garbage on the telly, I find myself either on my phone or laptop each evening. Usually its ebay searching for elusive bargains...then youtube to while away the hours.

I saw a chap holding a canon dslr portrait style with the flippy screen folded out 90 degrees and the camera held at waist level. He even had 1:1 aspect ratio selected. Needless I went straight upstairs and tried the same on the 70d. Worked great and harked back to my college years wandering around with my Rollei 2.8F (still have it).

I had never considered framing like this, just wondered if any of you lot had been aware of this too. In my defence, I've only had the flippy screen cameras 7-8mths. But it feels great. I also intend to try sticking with the 1:1 aspect too. I now regret selling the 200d, its small size would have been perfect.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's been around quite a long time in digital terms. The original Nikon Coolpixes could be used that way and I still have my 990, bought in 2001 with a couple of add on lenses...

Camera Nikon Coolpix 990 with lenses DSC01857.JPG

Sony brought out what's still one of the better implementations of the idea in the DSC-R1. The whole top of the viewfinder bulge could be turned over to reveal a small but still very usable screen that turned the camera into something akin to a Hasselblad in terms of usage...

Panasonic TZ40 1020239.JPG

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That’s about the only way I’ve used the rear LCD on my mirrorless. I’ll use a right-angle finder on my Canon’s when using a tripod. Nothing comes close to a waist-level finder on a medium format film camera. I suppose you’d need a mains power supply to get that resolution on an LCD screen. I had a look at the first Fuji G series with the tilting viewfinder and it didn’t impress.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There were two problems I found with these, difficulty in hand-holding the camera level and when I wanted to use the Mamiya 645 in portrait orientation. At least the Yashicamat 124G I owned for a very short time was a square format that could be cropped later so the second was not so much of a problem with the Yashica.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Nikon 1J5 screen can't be articulated horizontally, only about the horizontal axis. Using it to frame portrait shots might actually be useful.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As a long time user of both Hasselblad and Rolleiflex cameras I'd say that the tilting screens on my current digital cameras are at least as good; even that on the tiny Sony HX90...

Camera Sony HX90 with flip up screen in use TZ70 P1030561.JPG

7. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Sadly I don’t yet own a camera with an articulated screen. The key reason I’d like one is for composing low-level macro shots. Using it as a waist-level finder would be more convenient (and less messy) than dropping onto one knee as I do now. I have used the screen when holding the camera high over people or fences, and articulation would help then. But I don’t see the screen very clearly without glasses; putting them on for waist-level shots would be more trouble than kneeling and using the viewfinder. (The glasses I already carry in my camera bag wouldn’t help anyway; they’re the strongest I could find in Poundland, for checking images on the screen in as much detail as is practical in the field).

Chris

8. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I quite agree Andrew. I had one of these Sony cameras about ten years ago. Every time I looked down at the screen my old Hasselblad came into my mind.