1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Photoshop Elements 7 with Windows 10

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Chester AP, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I have just had to get a new PC and opted for Windows 10 because Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 in 2020. I was expecting to have to buy PSE 2018, since Adobe say that only PSE 14 or later will run on Windows 10. The Windows 10 updates are all up to date.

I hate being forced to update software I am happy with, so before throwing away my 2009 vintage PSE 7 CD and spending money on PSE 2018, I tried installing it on my new Windows 10 PC.

And everything appears to work perfectly
    . I have opened DNG RAW files (I purchased a Pentax DSLR so I get DNG RAW files straight from the camera), made changes, saved them as JPG files. I have also opened JPG files, made changes and saved them to new versions.

I have never used PSE's file organising/keyword/tags options, preferring to set up my own folders and always use the 'open with' option on a RAW or JPEG image. Perhaps it is the bits I don't use that don't work with Windows 10.

Has anybody else put PSE 7 on a Windows 10 PC and had problems?

2. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I think they are just making sure they don't need to support it if MS makes an update that brakes it. And yes, Adobe is keen on getting us on a monthly cloud PS so they would like it not to work even if they don't admit to it.
    I have not tried to put my copy on a Win10 machine but I can't really see any reason why it would not work.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Are you sure they don't say 'Supported on Windows 10', i.e. they've tested it themselves and offer actual support. A lot of stuff works, but isn't officially supported, in the software industry.

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

After success with PSE 7 on Windows 10, I tried a CD of Ulead Systems Photo Express that I got with a flatbed scanner purchased in 1999. It is a very basic JPG image file editor, but has much simpler text processing (ie. text on an image) than PSE 7. It also works on Windows 10, but only appears in a 1024 x 768 window. My monitor is 1280x1024, so this is large enough to use. It appears to add some unwanted compression to the saved images, but it's good enough for adding text to Christmas cards or small prints.

I tried the Adobe online help from PSE 7 and got help pages for PSE 11. My 2009 copy of 'Photoshop Elements 7 for Dummies' has given me all the PSE 7 'support' I have ever needed. It has nothing about RAW file processing, but articles in AP have helped with this.
    I know, that for pictures taken in less than perfect lighting, I can get a decent JPG for printing from the DNG RAW file. The ability to change the exposure buy 1 or 2 stops, colour temperature of the image, and recover detail from 'burned out' highlights is very useful.

Perhaps somebody has some even older (pre-1999) image editing software that works on Windows 10.

5. EightBitTony

Windows 10 is pretty strongly backwards compatible, it'll run just about any 'well behaved' Windows software including stuff which last worked in Windows 95 I believe (certainly stuff under XP works). The problem is software which made assumptions about Windows and didn't use the published API's may not work correctly.

You can get Windows 10 to lie to the software as well and run it in compatibility modes of various kinds if it doesn't run properly straight away.

upload_2018-4-23_23-37-15.png

6. EightBitTony

Also, did you know you can just copy and paste images straight into forum posts? I didn't. Learned something new today.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No, how? I tried to cut and paste a screen shot of a user manual to answer the query on setting mech/electronic shutter the other day and it didn't work

8. PeteRob

The backwards compatibility will last as long as Windows supports 32 bit apps. Apple are saying they will end support sometime in the near future. That will kill standalone LR (unless running a virtual machine + emulator). I forget when Windows dropped support for 16 bit apps.

9. EightBitTony

Windows 7 maybe?

10. EightBitTony

I took a screenshot of that dialog box and then in a new post on here just hit paste (shift-insert, I'm old school) and it just turned up.

11. PeteRob

Don't think it works on a mac. Seems OK to me as I look at it here but if I preview it then I just get a link that goes to access denied. I'll try posting and see. If it doesn't work I'll delete the post
    upload_2018-4-24_7-47-30.png

Edit: well that worked after a fashion and to my complete surprise. Seems to involve uploading a .png rather than a straight paste job.

Attached Files:

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not PSE7 but was happy to find that my copy of CS3 appears to run without issues...

13. EightBitTony

I guess there's some browser magic going on then? Firefox on Win 10 just pasted the image, no attachment icon or anything, the image just showed up instantly in the post and then I hit post reply and it saved.

14. PeteRob

I think it is the way the mac works. By default it seems to save the screen shot as a png to the desktop. Clearly the copy to clipboard just copies the file to the clipboard. In windows you'd have to paste the clipboard content to an application and save it as a file to have a permanent record of the screen shot. Any way - learned 2 things today. My windows PC is for work only so no AP foruming on it!

EightBitTony likes this.