1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using old digital cameras

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ascu75, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I still use Sigma SD14s released in 2006, & more rarely my pentax K100d from earlier in the same year.
    I don't know when my digital microscope was introduced it's only 1.3MP & was given to me in Christmas 2010.

I have several older point & shoot digitals but I don't think I've actually used any of them for a few years - in all truth the water proof one is the only one that has much chance of being used again

2. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

Couple years ago I sold a mint Canon 40D for $100.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It will surprise no-one here to hear that my two digital cameras were both made circa 2008.

4. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Thanks I have a 40D to get rid of

5. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

On thinking about it , My main camera(s) aren't exactly "new" .
    My main cameras a Sony a900 from 2008 , my back up is a Sony a77ii from 2015 , and if I'm travelling light and want a pocket camera it's a Sony NEX 7 from 2011 .
    There again , the last few years I've probably done more on film than digital .

6. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I did mean 4MP at the time of writing I was in hospital recovering from an operation.

7. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have just a pair A850s bought just under 10 years ago. They both work as designed, have the same control set as my two Dynax film cameras, and have low shutter counts - between 11k and 12k (I keep them balanced). I print mainly at A3+, so at 24mp I can still print at around 300dpi.

Why change?

neilt3 likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I wish you a speedy recuperation.

ascu75 likes this.
  9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Exactly .
    The image quality hasn't changed since I got I got it .
    I got the a77ii to replace the a580 for the improvements with AF speed and accuracy .
    That's used mainly with telephoto lenses where the 24mp apsc sensor gives me more reach .
    Given that most if what I do is landscape , the a900 is still a good choice .

10. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Inspired by Pixel Puffin's comments re the 400D I have gone back and looked at my images taken on my old 6 mp 300D and am very impressed with the IQ particularly those taken with EF 50 f2.5 macro and EF 100 f2.8 Macro. Probably look better now than when I took them as raw viewing/processing/conversion SW has moved on a pace.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The major problems with using "old" digital cameras are batteries; try finding an EN4 for a Nikon D1 and memory cards, Olympus and Sony have both used their own proprietary cards in their early cameras. Obviously you need both to use a camera.

12. Petrochemist

It can be a problem, but when I was given a second SD14 last Christmas (a camera released right back in 2006) I had no problem locating batteries.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Largely depends on the technology I suspect. The EN4 is a Ni-Mh battery and nobody is producing them as far as I can determine. The EN-EL4 for the D2 and D3 is Li-Ion and readily available as is the EN-EL18 for the D4, D5 and D6. Many of the Li-Ion batteries for Nikon cameras are available but other technologies are less so. I suspect other manufacturers are in much the same situation with the Li-Ion batteries remaining current or upgraded versions being available.

Memory cards settled down fairly quickly as their capacities grew, I have a 64MB CF card and currently use some 32GB cards. The 64MB card would have a capacity of two images in my D3 or 1 in a D4.

14. Petrochemist

That reminds me of a PCMCIA memory card we needed for method storage on one of our instruments. The manufacturer wanted £200+ for an 8MB card, while a CF adapter & 64MB CF card could be brought for £20. At the time 8MB CF cards were no longer readily available.
    The adapted 64MB card is still in use & we've probably only ever used ~2MB, but having unused spare capacity is not an issue.

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

We had similar and our approach was exactly the same.

Petrochemist likes this.
  16. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

The Canon 40D is probably my favourite camera of all those I have owned.

17. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

My first digital camera, which I still have, was a Fujifilm S304. 3MP and gobbles up 4 AA batteries. It takes XD cards (remember those?), and I have both a 16MB and a 32MB card. The capacity of the cards is tiny, but its almost impossible to fill a card before the batteries die.

18. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Certainly with some of the very early cameras there can be difficulties sourcing the cards and batteries. Someone at work who knows I enjoy photography kindly gave me an old Fuji to play with. It looks like a very small bridge camera, with a zoom lens, rear screen and EVF. What strikes me as interesting is that it has a 3MP sensor but gives 6MP images, by some kind of in-camera interpolation: I'm keen to try that, now I've managed to track down some XD cards.

For those whose interest has been stimulated, some viewing for the long nights ahead: first up some old pro kit, featuring ex-AP writer Barney Britton:
    DPReview TV: A look back at the Canon 1D and Nikon D1H - YouTube

Some background on how the use of older kit has spread via the internet:
    The Six Megapixel Club - using a 14 year old Pentax DSLR in 2019 - YouTube
    and:
    Using a $20 DSLR in 2020 - Old, Cheap, Forgotten, But Good - 6 Megapixel Pentax *ist DL - YouTube

All of which is not to say that some of the older technology doesn't belong in the dustbin of history. I'd often wondered how images could be recorded on something as small as a standard floppy disk. Well, here's how - and I won't be wasting any money on eBay to find out for myself:
    Sony Mavica FD-83 First Impressions | Days of Knight 171010.3-068 - YouTube

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I had a Fuji FinePix S2 Pro, that too interpolated 6MP to give a 12MP output

I had a D1X with buffer upgrade it was as great camera but not a great as the D2H or D2X, if you can find one a D1X is a real performer but batteries are rare

20. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I have got an old Fuji bridge camera kicking about somewhere that I really liked. I then got my first DSLR and it got demoted and I haven’t used it in years:( I will dig it out. Don