1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Urgent help!

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Barney, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

We've a bit of an IT crisis.

My wife's been using PowerPoint on my work laptop. She saved a couple of SlideDecks from a POP email to the Desktop on Tuesday and has been working from it since then saving it (or so she thought) regularly. She's just gone in to the file on the

Desktop and it's showing that it has been modified since the 14th and all the work she's done has been lost.

My thinking is that somehow after the initial save, she opened up the link to the emailed file from Recent Documents and has been saving to that, and after closing simply open it up from recent documents again.

When we've closed PowerPoint down, there's been no option to Save so the files have been saved somewhere. All attempts to search (including hidden folders have come up blank)

For some unknown reason Autosave was switched off in PowerPoint.

Now I've gone into Local Settings and unhidden it, but can only see \Temporary Internet Files and \Temporary Internet Files\OLK17 if I type it directly into the bar.

I've tried Google but had no luck so I'm hoping anyone here might be able help?

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Search your drives for the file type (eg *ppt) and sort the list by date to see if there's a newer version than the one you can find?

3. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Andy, that's the first thing I did.

I've found this online so I'm going to give it a go:

4. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

There may be a temp file created by Powerpoint, although autosave was off, to save edits and provide a 'go back' facility (Ctrl-Z). The naming convention is pptxxx.tmp (where xxxx is a number) and they are saved by default in "C :\ Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp" or on Windows 7/Vista. "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp".

5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Might be worth checking the recycle bin:(

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Right, well I've tried all of the above and still no luck. :(

I can't understand it. The files haven't been deleted and yet they're nowhere to be seen. They must have saved somewhere as my wife was saving regularly and there was no Save prompt when we shut PowerPoint down. :confused:

Anyone got any ideas or is it a complete lost cause?

7. Wheelman

Wheelman Well-Known Member

Ok a long shot, and you have probably tried this but...

Have you tried opening the original e-mail attachment again ?

I have had a similar thing with a CAD drawing and it saved to the e-mail temp file.

Hope this helps

8. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It was a Yahoo mail file so I don't think that would work I'll give it a go as a long shot. We're so desperate I think I'd try homeopathy at this point.

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

My only suggestion would be... Try opening PP without a file open. Then look at the recent documents list which I think is under the 'File' header.

Hopefully it will be listed there

10. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I don't suppose the files could be "hidden" could they? You can unhide hidden files from Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View tab and click on "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

11. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I suspect Fen that that's the root cause, but alas PowerPoint & recent documents both only show the original file.

I'm sure the files are there in a hidden directory, just not the usual one which is going to make it really hard to find. :eek:(

12. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

Is it Powerpoint 2003 or 2007?

You say a POP email account too, what program did you use to open the email?

13. bob58

bob58 Well-Known Member

would using a previous restore point work:confused:

14. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

PowerPoint 2003 file open from Yahoo mail in Internet Explorer. I think I know where it should be (D:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5) it's just not there.

It looks like these folders/files might get deleted quite often. I've just gone back in there and there's not anywhere near as many as there were.

15. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

OK this is a long shot but I guess you'll try anything right now...

Download this:
    https://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/TreeSizeFreeSetup.exe

Install and run. Once it has scanned the C:\ drive you will be able to navigate all folders like you would in windows explorer. Therefore you can browse the temp internet folders easy and it may be worth looking in C:\Recycler I've dug stuff out of there before.

Let me know how it goes, I'll stay online for a bit to see if I can help anymore or if you find the file...

16. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

Forgot to say if you find C:\Recycler\ there should be at least one folder inside which will be named something like:
    S-1-5-21-606747145.....

In Treesize you can right click the folder, click open and and view the files, from here you can restore any file to its original location.

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks David, I'm just having my tea and then I'll that a go. I'm not holding out much hope now though but I'll try anything that sounds vaguely sensible and a lot of things that sound plain stupid provided they're said with enough authority.

(By the way, I just caught myself looking for the 'characters remaining' figure as I type that reply. Twitter must be getting to me! :eek: )

18. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

As I expect you all know deleted files aren't deleted but just have the file name changed for example from *.jpg to *.$pg which tells the system it can be overwritten. One can't see these files in Windows but should be visible under the command prompt (pseudo DOS). Terribly tedious I'm afraid so it helps if you have some idea where they are. Have you switched on the visibility of folders in WINDOWS EXPLORER, TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS, VIEW?

Sorry, I see I'm repeating what Roy said.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

...and the more programs you install to try to sort it out the greater the chance they will be overwritten and irrecoverable.

20. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Download a copy of linux which is bootable from cd/dvd and save it to an external disk (or usb stick) so you don't overwrite any files on your hard disk.
    Preferably use a different computer, then the problem couldn't arise.
    follow any instructions to expand and convert the files to a bootable cd and burn it.
    now shut down the computer which has the missing file, and reboot it using the cd.
    If it wants a temporary cache disk, specify one which you know the file is not residing on.
    Linux will then enable you to browse the disk with no risk of overwriting anything.

Sorry there are no specifics here - can't remember the flavour of Linux I used last time (Kubuntu I think) but perhaps a Linux expert can give you some more details - either way, if the file exists it is recoverable; it just sometimes takes a crowbar.

.....edit

There's a few tutorials on how to do this.
    This is the first I came across using Google.
    http://www.computer-juice.com/forums/f54/how-recover-files-windows-using-linux-live-cd-16100/

There's a version of Linux (Puppy) at this link
    http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011