1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urban exploration?

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by RavenstClaire, Mar 17, 2020.

1. RavenstClaire

RavenstClaire Member

Just a question?, does anyone share my love of Urban decay, buildings and places that have become derelict and abandoned, I really feel they need to be saved , if only on film/digital, Ive always had a fascination for taking pics of abandoned places, just wondered if there was anyone else as mad as me here :)

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I do try and shoot those shots, but I'm not brave / crazy / fit enough to do actual urbex.

RavenstClaire likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It used to be a popular subject. I guess with property prices having been so high, for so long, there is less about.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've been known to photograph a cracked wall or two...

Crack in St Margarets wall P1140174 mono.jpg

5. Andrew Flannigan

Abandoned work glove by kerb TZ40 1020289 mono.JPG You don't need to limit yourself to things as big as buildings either...

6. RavenstClaire

RavenstClaire Member

I so agree, shame in a way

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Llanberis:

bench-ii.jpg

sawing-shed.jpg

S

RavenstClaire and RovingMike like this.
  9. RavenstClaire

RavenstClaire Member

Fab stuff, I really love exploring, camera always with me of course

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I love to see what the real urbexers do, but never had a real go myself, except a few occasions.
    Was one of a group invited last year to shoot the derelict Horton asylum chapel before it is turned into an arts centre. Only given 2 hours in it:

[​IMG]Old Organ mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Album here:https://www.flickr.com/photos/rovingmike/albums/72157707494273894

Would love to get through the fence into here one day. Weston-S-Mare: [​IMG]_9060884mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Did get through fence here in Patagonia:

[​IMG]Old pool mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

RavenstClaire and EightBitTony like this.
  11. RavenstClaire

RavenstClaire Member

fabulous pics, I love abandoned places, just feel so liberating

12. Andrew Flannigan

This wasn't so much abandoned as in transition...

Demolished Chapel in Bridlington 025_22 mono.JPG

RavenstClaire and RovingMike like this.
  13. RavenstClaire

RavenstClaire Member

I'm no expert in photography and barely know what I'm doing (blonde!) but I do know what I like, Its a huge change from being the other side of the lense, I used to model in my youth) so any tips or help I gain from the group will be hugely appreciated.

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The first rule is "be safe" if you are around derelict buildings. For the photographic side the best thing to do is to post pictures (one at a time is best, and following size guidelines) in the appraisal section of the forum. Most of the people likely to provide feedback will recognise that you are "new" and comment constructively.

15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The urbexers usually use tripods, as there can be very little light. They were also using HDR long before most others, to overcome the huge contrast differences you can get with very directional light from often small apertures.

16. RavenstClaire

RavenstClaire Member

Thanks Mike