1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrading

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by sintara, Feb 5, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Auto correct strikes again! Yes I agree that the emphasis is too much on video at the expense of stills photography. Certainly that is true of Nikon's Z series and new D6 as well as the EOS 1D iii and the new mirrorless. The thing is that many younger users have become accustomed to having video on their phones and want it on their cameras as well. I suspect we dinosaurs will have to put up with a host of "features" that hold absolutely no interest if we want the ones that we are interested in.

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If the provision of video does not damage the performance for still photography, and if the cost of that video capability is offset by the increased sales of the camera, and if the video button can be customised to do something else, then I see no problem. You might even benefit when you next update and trade in the camera.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

The 5D and 5Dii introduced pretty revolutionary video features, and their market penetration was improved as a result. For a while, they were the semi-professional video camera of choice for people making high quality videos.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/canon-5d-mark-ii-discontinued/

https://nofilmschool.com/2012/12/5d-mk-ii-good-run-canon-discontinue

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Neither of my 5D bodies had a video setting. Do you think it's too late to complain?

Camera Canon 5D with Tamron AD2 90mm Macro lens DSC00025.JPG

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As far as I remember the arrival of video with the 5Dii was regarded as some kind of marvel by film makers, being a much cheaper alternative to the dedicated cinematic cameras of the day. The 5D had no video.

6. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yes, apologies, just the 5Dii.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I can agree that video is fine as long as it doesn't compromise stills performance but the latest releases have upgraded video performance but, as far as I can see, done nothing for stills performance. As an example the new Nikon D6 seems to offer nothing more for the stills photographer over the D5 but adds a range of video options. Why would I pay £1,000 more for a D6 when the D5 would do everything I require, at the lower price?