1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unscientific survey

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ascu75, May 29, 2021.

1. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I have been looking at old 120 format cameras. Nothing unusual there I hear you all cry :eek: Yes I know I spend to much time browsing eBay looking at “old rubbish cameras” (Heathers words not mine) but recently I have noticed anything with the words Medium Format making ridiculous money whereas the same camera just listed as 120 being many quids cheaper :eek: o_O I know this ain’t a fact filled survey just my own observation but I thought it worthy of mention. Anyone else noticed it? Don

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not noticed it. Presumably because I ain't on or near eBay, nor looking for more medium format cameras. :rolleyes: I have two, and would like more, but right now I neither need nor can justify more.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

As we're being unscientific, I would hazard a guess that the phrase "medium format" attracts a different clientele who have beards, plaid shirts, skinny jeans, and a mocha-chocca-frappachino-latte.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Actually we are all browsing large format these days. :p

peterba and MJB like this.
  5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

That was my thought on the subject but I wanted someone else to say it plus I can’t spell mocha-chocca-frappachino-latte :rolleyes::eek: (thank goodness for cutting and paste) Don

peterba likes this.
  6. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

When did need or justify make any difference to buying cameras? I got that Alpha Ambi into the house under a strict camera buying embargo ;) heee heee hee :rolleyes:

peterba, Zou and MJB like this.
  7. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Lol penny just dropped you mocha-chocca-frappachino-latte drinker :D
    2BD50D7C-ED1E-4ACF-9EE2-BCEB8CD6EC7F.jpeg

Zou likes this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Lot's of Mocha and rollfilm camera. The winning combination?

Hasselblad closed with coffee.jpg

ascu75 likes this.
  9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I am in the process of working out why I keep reading Plaid Shirts as Plaid Skirts? I also google said SHIRTS and found this report on buying one
    Where is the best place to get a plaid shirt?
    The Best Brands For Plaid Shirt
    • Carhartt WIP. The story of Carhartt WIP is one of two tales. ...
    • Filson. In the home of grunge, Seattle, you'll also find Filson, an outerwear brand that has made perfecting the staple plaid shirt its mission. ...
    • Ralph Lauren. ...
    • Beams Plus. ...
    • H&M. ...
    • Woolrich. ...
    • Alex Mill. ...
    • Patagonia.
    More items...
    Now I am scared about PLAID SKIRTS I usually find anything related to women and clothing the women are in various states of undress so if anyone out there is brave enough please feel free to use your search engine of choice and type in Where is the best place to get a plaid skirt?

10. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

11. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

My platonic relationship with a certain Fuji GF670 is still unrequited and I am heartbroken. Is there an AP Therapist that can help?
    The trouble is as always the cost . I started this thread saying eBay prices have gone up for medium format and risen slightly less for cameras listed as 120 but it doesn’t matter with the Fuji GW670 or the 690 they are all blooming expensive. The best examples are in Japan :( Which don’t matter coz if I can’t afford the camera I won’t be booking a ticket to Tokyo :rolleyes:
    My name is Don and I am a cameraholic :D:D
    2AF7482C-079C-4CF5-8C8A-3E1FBB59BA9B.jpeg 28368CCA-A4B4-4B4C-839C-1441E2728EF6.jpeg

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

You just have to convince yourself that you do in fact have one, both perhaps, but the good lady wife put them in the attic and you are above needing them brought out to satisfy your curiosity. ;)

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I could explain that I had sent it away for a CLA and it’s due back soon. Get her to seek out the postman each day asking of the whereabouts of said parcel. Only thing to convince here is the two grand cost of a CLA and why it was done in Japan ;) on a brighter note I do have a couple of 120 cameras in the loft so maybe I can scratch part of the itch. My name is Don I am a cameraholic and I haven’t bought a camera for seventy five days and seven hours :confused::eek:

steveandthedogs, John Farrell and Zou like this.
  14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Many, many, years ago I worked in the retail electrical trade. An older and very successful salesman told me that, whenever possible, pander to the customer's ignorance about the technical details of what they wanted to buy. With care, once that had explained what they wanted the device to do, they could be sold what they needed. This sounds cynical, but repeat custom proved it was a sensible policy.

ascu75 likes this.
  15. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

i lost the beard over 25 years ago, haven't been able to get into skinny jeans for much longer than that & won't touch coffee adulterated with milk, but I have still searched for medium format.
    I search for large format (in the lenses section) too, but in the other camera sections I now stick to 'Toyo' (the brand of both my LF cameras) or simply '5x4' & '4x5'

Zou and ascu75 like this.
  16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

He wouldn't have liked me much then!

ascu75 likes this.
  17. Chester AP

Nor me - after working in retail, I realised that when looking to buy anything technical (audio equipment, televisions, photographic hardware, automatic washing machines, etc.) it is always best to do your research and make sure that you know at least as much about the item as the salesman does. This is perhaps why stores like Jessops lost my custom decades ago and stores like LCE gained it instead.

The worst kind of customer is the one who has read some reviews, does not have the knowledge to understood them, and jumps to the conclusions where a rating is given. He (or she) will then buy something far more complex and expensive than is needed, never learn to use it properly, and then blame the salesman. Or perhaps today just buy online and blame the review.

18. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

They always gotta blame someone 78687282-7C76-45ED-BD63-3638F7FBEDE0.png

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

ascu75 and spinno like this.
  20. Chester AP

Keep calm and write a slogan?