1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Underground Tunnels in Dover's North Centre Bastion

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by jorolat, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jorolat

jorolat Member

Dover's Napoleonic defenses consist of various fortresses and bastions embedded into the Western Heights and connected by over 4 miles of dry moats.

Here are some pics of the North Centre Bastion (just click on the thumbnails):

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1) One of the underground drawbridges operated by counterweights sunk into the tunnel floor. The steps lead to the surface.

2) Where one end of the tunnel system splits to give access to both levels of the bastion's caponnier.

3) A sub-tunnel (raised off of the main tunnel floor) leading to..

4) A dome-capped shaft full of dust orbs.

5) A view of one half of the caponnier taken from underneath what was once the second level slate balcony (only part of it is still intact).

I've got a 3 year-old 3MP Pentax Optio 33LF but have only been using it since March of this year in 'point and shoot' mode - that's just in case you start shouting at me for poor photos an' stuff.

I'm saving up for a new camera (maybe a Fuji s6500 which is supposed to be good for lowlight conditions but hasn't got a swivel screen, 'sigh') when I hope to start playing with the manual settings.

My first post - nice to be here! :)

John Latter