1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultrasonic cat deterrents

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I was thinking that as cats become alleged vectors of covid-19, un-chipped feral cats would be destroyed and chipped cats could be returned to their owners for a fat fee.

2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why they want to chip all cats either. Even though mine are indoor only I chose to have them chipped so if they got out they could be returned to me but no idea why they might want to make it law

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would imagine that it is for the same reason that dogs are required to be chipped, to be able to identify the owner and hold them responsible for the animal's health or any damage it does.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Certainly not the latter, unless cats are no longer to be recognised as anarchists free spirits in law.

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to see you acknowledge there may be a difference... :D

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Just reflecting the status in law. ;)

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You forgot to correct my comment on ownership! The cat isn’t owned but it is the responsibility of its adopted human/s to repair any damage it does. The chip is to identify the adoptees.

Zou likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should start with human children first then.

Gezza likes this.
  9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Most already have one, it is called a smart phone

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Permanently fitted subcutaneously?

70% of domestic cats are already voluntarily microchipped (source:BBC), compared to 90% of dogs where it is compulsory. Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut springs to mind.

Zou and WillieJ like this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Legislation has a cost, that is in terms of parliamentary time as well as the financial costs, in this case getting the remaining 30% chipped seems like a massive over reaction. Of that 30% I suspect a fair proportion will be itinerant, being fed and "owned" by a couple of households, and probably won't get a chip. I think 90% compliance by dog owners is about as good as it is going to get, I doubt that is achievable with cats. Time to drop that one Boris, complete waste of effort there are better uses of parliamentary time.

12. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Would also avoid the need for picture ID when the little Bs grow uo and want to vote.

MJB and DaveM399 like this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Ever tried to separate one from its phone?

14. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I would not want to try unless a modified barge poll could be used.

15. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

AndyTake2 likes this.