1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultrasonic cat deterrents

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 18, 2020.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

T. S Eliot was an astute observer of cat behaviour, read Old Possums Book of Practical Cats and see just how many you recognise. Alternatively, enrich Lord Lloyd-Webber and listen to the musical.

"For when they reach the scene of crime – Macavity's not there!" pretty much sums up the situation, you hear a noise and by the time you get to the window there is nothing more than a calling card.

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My neighbour has four feral children under the age of 10, with twins due in the next couple of weeks. I wish they had a cat instead.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Cats and children together make good pictures...

Kirsten and Perdita Rolleiflex.jpg

4. Andrew Flannigan

Mind you children and cats share one characteristic when they hit adolescence: the ability to be awake when adults are asleep and to sleep when adults are awake!

Kirsten with cat on her lap 652256CNV00036.JPG

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

If you want to be rid of cats, I wouldn't plant catnip - cats love the stuff!

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Don't mess with a cat lover.

37645758-9116299-image-a-70_1609885814281.jpg

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  7. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Anyway, what is an ultrasonic cat? Don't think I've seen one.

dream_police and Zou like this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think wearing the cat's cousin's skin as a top was insensitive;)

dream_police likes this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Well, you certainly wouldn't hear one...

10. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

It's a cat which has heard a packet of Dreamies being opened.

LesleySM, Geren and Zou like this.
  11. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Lol
    Her arms are the same colour!! The tiger looks bemused, maybe she called him Tony!!

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

At least the feral children won’t sh*t in your garden (well ok they might).

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Better that than the aural excrement of constant screaming?

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

if you were to use catnip as a lovely gorgeously green under-planting to real lilies I think that you might become the subject of much hate from the local cats league.

15. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

My father used to get a strip of 1" thick wood bang some 2" nails through it then fasten it to the top of the fence nail points up, another deterrent a friend had was a bucket of water.

16. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

That’s just mean!!!!!

17. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

That is just a John wind up.

18. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Dreamies! I think Ganzi teleports into the kitchen whenever any cat food is served
    As an experiment I just went to the loo and on the way back checked that Ganzi was dead to the world. I went in the kitchen making no verbal signals about the possibility of food in his immediate future, I got a beer out then I bent down to pick up the cat food box and before I'd even touched said box he was right in front of it!
    Maybe he's hearing ultrasonic squeaks from my bad back and when they reach a certain pitch he knows I've bent down enough to be reaching for the cat food box

Zou and WillieJ like this.
  19. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

Years ago I had a problem with several neighborhood cats. I would use cat treats and befriend them.
    When I could get close enough to them I would spray cheap perfume on top of their heads and upper back.
    That is an area they can't lick clean. The parts they could lick must have tasted awful because they would make
    horrible retching sound when they tried to lick it off. They decided the treats were not worth the problem
    that came with them and they did not come back.
    The next day at work I would get a lot of comments about how nice I smelled.

20. Andrew Flannigan

According to this page...

...you may have committed an offence under one or more of the Protection of Animals Act 1911, the Animal Welfare Act 2006 tor the Animal Welfare Act 2005. With up to 5 years in pokey now on offer...

...that seems like a high risk strategy to me. :confused: