1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultrasonic cat deterrents

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 18, 2020.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

It beats me why people want cats as pets, when they spend most of their time on other peoples property...

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Cats don’t have owners, they have staff!

Trannifan and Zou like this.
  3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

That tends to be the excuse cat owners give as to why they have none or little control over their pet.
    The cat controls them, they don't control the cat.

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Catnip or cat food laced with warfarin? :confused:

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'm not a cat lover but I certainly wouldn't go that far.

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Neither would I. It would be illegal.
    You could perhaps use catnip as an under planting for lilies, purely for decorative purposes of course.

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Not everyone can hear it. Only the special people can hear them ;)

ps - Dog whistles are also annoying!

AndyTake2 likes this.
  8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have always been of the belief that ultrasonic implies a frequency above 20KHz. For an adult to be able to hear something above that frequency is exceedingly rare. Last time I tried I could, just, hear 16KHz.

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Shortly after I started work (in a research lab) and aged 24 I could hear up to 22kHz on the lab's oscillator and speaker. Now, it's very different - I can no longer hear the kitchen timer unless it's on the table beside me. I've been suffering from otosclerosis since around 1995 - possibly earlier.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I never tried that when I had access to such equipment but I do have a signal generator app on my phone which is useful for testing audio systems,

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Mine are kept indoors so they cannot annoy neighbours by cra**ing in their gardens or threaten any wildlife bigger than a house fly

Trannifan and daft_biker like this.
  12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I think my hearing level is just below the wife’s voice frequency of which there appears to be no upper limit :)