1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultrasonic cat deterrents

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Back in the spring, I watched birds in my garden, and in particular a family of thrushes. The birds have now been replaced by two different cats from the local neighbourhood. I'm wondering is there's a connection, but whatever, I'm also thinking about installing solar powered ultrasonic cat deterrents. Do they work? How long do they last, and is there any means of checking whether they're still working? Is there anything like a bat detector for ultrasonic cat deterrents?

Many thanks - before I spend the money...

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan (and not because I like cats)... but because I can hear them. It's an annoying sound which really disturbs my own peaceful enjoyment of the garden.

3. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

I'm with Zou on this. One of our neighbours bought one several years ago, it didn't keep the cats from their garden. But it did annoy the heck out of me as I could hear it when we were in our garden and it upset the dogs on both sides of the neighbour.

They got rid it after a couple of weeks.

Try the Pepper Spray deterrents, they might work.

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I can hear them too .
    Like a crackling noise in the back of your ear .
    We did have one in our front garden for years and it worked well .
    Ours wasn't solar powered though , it ran off two 9 volt batteries or a mains adapter .
    I'm not a fan of solar powered stuff in this country , especially if you have trees or large bushes , and then theirs winter when we don't see the sun !

5. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Give them a good soaking when they venture into your garden, they will soon learn.

Had a cat that used to use our garden as it's personal giant litter tray, after a number of soakings it avoided our garden.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

If only... ... my garden water-tap seized up years ago. I should have installed one made out of bronze, but I used brass and it seized after around 25 years, and both that and the rising main stop-tap are now frozen in their positions. I go to some trouble keeping the supplier's tap accessible.

7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Our ex next door neighbour had six cats. I considered buying a Mongoose or Tasmanian Devil. Everything else I tried failed.

8. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

There's a cat that visits our garden to wind up our dogs. I don't think it's an ultrasonic one though!

Fen likes this.
  9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I preferred the Super Soaker mega gun method, from a toy store of your choice. They soon got the message.

Derek W likes this.
  10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Spud gun?

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Teeny-weeny land-mines?

Fen likes this.
  12. Malcolm_Stewart

Good idea, but unfortunately, nitrogen tri-iodide loses its sensitivity when damp.

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Mothballs?

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

You could try crapping on them?
    (I did like cats, not so keen now I have my own garden!)

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

My neighbour found the branches of cut Rosemary worked best.

16. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Lion poo from a local zoo is supposed to work.

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Lithium? Works very well when it gets wet :D

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

We had a battery operated ultrasonic device, ages ago when the kids were small. The kids could hear it and found it annoying. I couldn’t. I can’t remember if the cats cared or not. Worked on the kids.

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'm investigating the effectiveness of rose branches. Need to stock up when I cut my roses back for when I plant veg.

Catriona likes this.
  20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If the frequency is low enough that you can hear it I fail to see how it can be "ultrasonic"! Unless the "Ultra" refers to secret intelligence.