1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Tynemouth Lifeboat & HMS Portland (5 pics - 190k)

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by ElectricPics, Mar 10, 2006.

1. ElectricPics

ElectricPics Well-Known Member

HMS Portland arrived in the Tyne this morning, and Tynemouth Lifeboat took reporters and RNLI fundraising staff out to meet her for the journey upriver to Newcastle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

A tricky manoeuvre there. At least you didn't have to use the Bosun's Chair - that can be 'fun', I'm told! :)

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

A cannon and a net would be even more fun, eh! ;)

4. ElectricPics

But I was using a Canon! :)

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What about Annette? ;)

6. ElectricPics

Almost...

[​IMG]

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Very good, Adrian! :cool:

Thanks for the whole sequence - not the sort of thing I see every day! Did you take any particular precautions with the camera in these conditions? I assume there was plenty of sea spray.

8. ElectricPics

Plenty of sea spray, and plenty of utter dousing in the stuff, but my 1D MkII's handle it very well. I do a lot of RNLI jobs and that was the main reason I got the cameras - nothing else comes close when it comes to regular soaks in seawater.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I assumed you must be using a 1D variant. Looks like they do exactly what you need - I imagine the last thing you want to do in those sort of circumstances is worry about the camera.

10. ElectricPics

That's it - the phrase I was looking for was "complete confidence". Worrying about getting the gear wet is the last thing I need.

11. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Adrian,

Great set of pics :cool:. I really like the colour/contrast between the (almost) B&W look of the frigate(?) and the colour of the Coast Guard (?) boat and folks.

Well done and really nicely captured.

:)

Jack

12. RadoAds

RadoAds Well-Known Member

Super shots Adrian, looks like it was an exciting time, did you get to swap boats using that ladder or was it just for the "pro's", I would have snapped it coming into dock that sea looks a bit choppy for my sea legs. well done :)