1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tynemouth Lifeboat & HMS Portland (5 pics - 190k)

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by ElectricPics, Mar 10, 2006.

1. ElectricPics

ElectricPics Well-Known Member

HMS Portland arrived in the Tyne this morning, and Tynemouth Lifeboat took reporters and RNLI fundraising staff out to meet her for the journey upriver to Newcastle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

A tricky manoeuvre there. At least you didn't have to use the Bosun's Chair - that can be 'fun', I'm told! :)

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

A cannon and a net would be even more fun, eh! ;)

4. ElectricPics

But I was using a Canon! :)

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

What about Annette? ;)

6. ElectricPics

Almost...

[​IMG]

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Very good, Adrian! :cool:

Thanks for the whole sequence - not the sort of thing I see every day! Did you take any particular precautions with the camera in these conditions? I assume there was plenty of sea spray.

8. ElectricPics

Plenty of sea spray, and plenty of utter dousing in the stuff, but my 1D MkII's handle it very well. I do a lot of RNLI jobs and that was the main reason I got the cameras - nothing else comes close when it comes to regular soaks in seawater.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I assumed you must be using a 1D variant. Looks like they do exactly what you need - I imagine the last thing you want to do in those sort of circumstances is worry about the camera.

10. ElectricPics

That's it - the phrase I was looking for was "complete confidence". Worrying about getting the gear wet is the last thing I need.

11. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Adrian,

Great set of pics :cool:. I really like the colour/contrast between the (almost) B&W look of the frigate(?) and the colour of the Coast Guard (?) boat and folks.

Well done and really nicely captured.

:)

Jack

12. RadoAds

RadoAds Well-Known Member

Super shots Adrian, looks like it was an exciting time, did you get to swap boats using that ladder or was it just for the "pro's", I would have snapped it coming into dock that sea looks a bit choppy for my sea legs. well done :)