1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two new Sony Alphas

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Roger_Provins, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Re: Help me.

Never did understand why you got rid of your Minolta Glass.
    I only ever had the 50mm Rokkor 1.7 when I got my x700, and the 35-80 when I got my first 7000i, all my lenses since have been Sigma and Tamron,when I heard about the dynax7d coming out I resisted the urge to change to another make and keep all my lenses, The oldest lens is a Sigma 400 which is about 15/16 years old,it works perfectly with my 7d.

The moral is.
    Once a Minolta camera user, always a Minolta user, even if the glass is different. Anyway, I did hear years ago that Minolta supply the glass for Nikon, how true this is I dont know.

2. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Part of the logic is that I had a lot of high value Minolta gear that would be very difficult and expensive to repair if it went wrong. Secondly, I am using the Olympus digital gear more frequently than my film gear so I decided to go for pro-spec lenses (11-22, 45-54 & 50-200)at the expense of the film gear. I have kept my 700si body and a range of lenses covering the 17mm-400mm range (plus 2x convertor) for film and slide work so my options are still open. I also have a Metz flashgun with interchangeable modules for both cameras. The 'Just when I've sold £600 worth of quality Minolta glass' comment was more light hearted than serious and I now feel I have a range of kit that meets my needs. Finally, 'no' I do not have any other Minolta gear to sell off! Now when is that new pro Olympus body due out?

:D :D

3. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Pity - I'm hoping to find a 300mm f2.8 at bargain price from some disillusioned Minolta user. No luck yet though :)

MickLL

4. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

a 300 f2.8???

if you find one I will fight you for it.

Not fussy if its a Sigma,Tokina or Tamron

5. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm not sure that Sony's comment about one of these two cameras being released before the end of the year - but not telling us which one - is that helpful.

I can see that they may want to stop people jumping ship by announcing that there are more cameras on the way; but if I was about to buy a new DSLR now I wouldn't hold off on the off chance that there's a new Sony being released sometime this year, which may be really worth waiting for.

It's almost as bad as Olympus' coyness about the E-1's successor!
    ;)

6. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

No contest - I'm only interested in a Minolta :)

MickLL

7. Phobug

Phobug Well-Known Member

I'll put my name down for any G series stuff from the disillusioned users. ;-)

8. arthurb

arthurb Well-Known Member

Hello Alex - I think you are correct; Sony are trying to hold on to what I might term "market interest". It would seem that the A200? and A400?? are some way off and they need "teasers". This may of course be totally incorrect, but I think an updated A100 is more likely soon; hence all the extra-ordinary deals available. I think Sony know they must kill the K10D/GX10 or they may lose a key market segment.

Sony have interested me for years - since briefly selling Hi-Fi gear in 1969-70. They have always made a lot of good stuff, but most is no better than other brand's, just well marketed. They also have a rather arrogant posture and I would never trust them to really care about their customers (if any big corporation does). I have used Minoltas since 1969 and now want a Pentax K10D; I don't think I'm alone.

9. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I see in this week's AP that Sony are planning to tour an 'Apha' tent around the country! I would have thought that some more definite, and useful, information about the future of the system would be a good idea, rather than saying it will be expanded, but not when or, indeed, how.

:rolleyes:

10. arthurb

arthurb Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I just hope that Sony are not letting their marketing department have much more influence than their engineering design and development groups; they, along with far too many other corporations, are prone to doing that for too long. It is unfortunately true that too many people assume that all is for the good when a big corporation takes over a smaller one, with the belief that the bigger the corporation the deeper its pockets are; conversely the bigger its debts and other demands on its cash can be. Sony is a mega-corporation, but it currently has mega-problems with the new Play Station 3, not to mention batteries!

Seems to me that you are absolutely spot-on: they need a marketable product plan, not a produce-able marketing plan. An Alpha tent with nothing but vapour-ware; very helpful!
    Regards.