1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two new Sony Alphas

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Roger_Provins, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

2. Roger_Provins

[​IMG]

This one looks very much like full frame high end.

..and this the replacement Minolta 7D ?

[​IMG]

Roger

Roger

3. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hi Roger,

good news for Minolta/Sony users, can't wait to see the spec. Looks like the 1st one has an OM1/2 prism :D

Richard (jealous because Olympus hasn't given us owt yet) :(

4. Roger_Provins

I've a A100 and a lot of Minolta glass so these interest me particularly the first one. That's a big camera and the prism is huge - gotta be FF. The lens is a 85mm 1.4 Zeiss and that's not a small lens :)

Roger

5. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

I'd tend to agree re. FF, look at the focal length of the announced lenses, 24-70mm, 70-300mm, 28-250mm. That doesn't suggest a cropped sensor especially the 1st and last ones IMO.

Nothing on DP Review yet, anything on Sony website?

6. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Just when I've sold £600 worth of quality Minolta glass!! Mind you, those Alphas look pretty brutish especially the supposed 'high end' one with lots of trap doors and angles. Full frame would be very interesting. Nope, won't be tempted, I'll hang for the E1 rplacement when it finally comes in 2017. AND we can be pretty sure that it won't be full frame. :D

7. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

LOL :D :D :D

8. Roger_Provins

Well there are quite a few folk on the Minolta/Sony forums who just couldn't wait, flogged their Minolta glass and jumped ship. I thought patience might be needed - after all Sony did say right from the start when they bought Konica/Minolta they were going to be major players and take on Canon/Nikon. Looks like they're making a play.

Anyway whether I can afford any of it is a different story. I'm happy with the A100 and the lenses I have for the time being but temptation will no doubt conquer prudence - as usual :)

Roger

9. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

10. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

I was impressed with the Alpha but all my lenses would have been out of kilter with the smaller sensor. My MAIN worry was that I had some valuable Minolta glass that could be very hard (and expensive)to repair so I thought I'd cash it all in and go for the OLY pro lenses in readiness for the E1 replacement. Good job I am a patient man. (But I have promised 'er in charge' that my E500s will last me for at least 2 years).................... :D

11. Roger_Provins

... and of course they will still be going strong long after you've bought the new E1 :)

I've always had a soft spot for Olympus, had OM10, OM2n at one time and still have in my RF collection RC, RD and SP.

Roger

12. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

My ploys are all too well known for much leeway I'm afraid. But as for the E500s, will I develop an 'OM' type attachment to the little beauties? I am tempted to look for a nice OM1n just to keep for old times sake. Hey!! which forum are we in here?. Ah yes, I also have a lovely Minolta 700si in minty condition.) :D

13. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

I hope people are like me when it comes to thinking about `jumping ship`.

I thought about it a few years ago but something said `hold your horses` am I glad I did? I kept my old lenses and use them on my Dynax 7d, I have changed 2 of them and kept 1 ( a Sigma 400 f5.6) got a new one a Tamron 90mm macro.

Looking at these 2 it could be a wise move for existing Minolta A/F owners to do the same.

14. Gordon_McGeachie

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Cant wait to see the prices.

May be worth upgrading from my Dynax 7d.

15. Gordon_McGeachie

16. Roger_Provins

17. Gordon_McGeachie

I have contacted Sony UK for more details if they have any.

Will keep you posted

18. Gordon_McGeachie

I got a reply from Sony uk today and they do not have any info for the general public yet.

19. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk Well-Known Member

20. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Help me.

Let's get this right.

You bought a camera that presumably did all you wanted, at least when you bought it.

You equipped yourself with some of the best lenses in the business and then, becuase the camera business gets sold by M and then K-M, you sell up because Sony are slow developing another body.

Please help me with the logic.

MickLL

PS Do you have any other Minolta fit stuff that you want to get rid of?