1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Two mono portraits (warning: one of them is a selfie)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by AdrianSadlier, Mar 2, 2018.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

Wab and AndyTake2 like this.
  2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I like them both:)

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Not being a portraitist I tend not to comment on portraits but I do like these.

My only critique is that I find the right hand side of the first is little shadow heavy while the left side a little bright, I feel the need for a slightly better balance...

portrait.jpg

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

At this standard I guess that one has to be really 'picky' to make a constructive criticism. I like them but I find the square catchlights in the second disturbing. Once noticed they become centres of attention. The way that you use a full range of tones to represent the texture of skin and hair is perfect.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Agree. Also that the light from LHS is just a bit fierce.

Lovely.

6. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I'd get the key light 18 inches or more higher to make the nose shadows angle down a bit more. And (as always) I'd recommend adding in some front fill to lift the shadow density a tad (dial down the key to compensate of course)

7. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

Guys

As ever, thanks for the feedback/ The shots were taken in 2014 so I didn't have a chance to take the advice on the lighting - I could only make changes in PP.

Can't wait to get into the studio again.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I'm with Learning on these about the catchlights, but I do like them.

Even if they are ugly buggers.

S

ps sorry!