1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Twitchers Anonymous

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Apr 28, 2020.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Yesterday evening we heard a clattering thud against the fence - didn't think much of it til I went and looked around.
    A juvenile sparrow had obviously clattered into the fence and stunned itself. It had sensibly parked itself at the bottom of the fence whilst it recovered, but as my dog would often go and take an interest, I decided to take it out of harms way.

I put it in a shoebox and it was quite placid, but took off after a few seconds - right as rain.:)
    Beautiful little thing. I know they are just LBJs, but up close and personal they are gorgeous.

Zou, steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I am not a bird photographer

DSC_1101 (2019_04_29 12_25_31 UTC).jpg DSC_9514_filtered.jpg jhfgvuygt.jpg strobe.jpg

3. Stephen Rundle

I did go to a hide to shoot these once and when someone pointed it out to me I really did say "that b*********** small thing how Can I shoot that, always amazes me how people do :)

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Arguably the “best”, in “how on earth” terms, kingfisher shot I have seen is one flying head on toward the camera. Minimal cross-section to focus on and they really, really get a move on when they cross open water.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Great pics, but I hope that the bird wasn't near its nest/there was risk of disturbance. Or you had the relevant licence.

From here.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I am aware of this law, no issues in this case.

SXH likes this.
  7. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

Many of these Kingfisher photos are taken at 'feeding stations'. You pay money to use the hide and wait.

Of course that doesn't detract from the camera craft needed to get good pictures but IMHO does detract from the natural history value of the shots.

To my knowledge it been done with Ospreys as well. Maybe I should pen a fox with a clipped pigeon so that photographers can record the kill - for money of course.

BTW I have no idea if Bazarchie's picture was taken as described. My comment above is a general one.

MickLL

8. Stephen Rundle

If there is a hide and a kingfisher is close then I see NO problems as many hides where they are are on RSPB sites and I doubt they are unaware of the law :) :) :)

Though there are some real scumbags who don't care about wildlife.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Good idea, but how's the fox gonna pay you?

Zou likes this.
  10. Stephen Rundle

:):):)

11. Bazarchie

I think we have had this discussion before. These pictures were taken from a hide as part of a paid workshop. There were only three of us, me, another punter and the pro photographer. Given social distancing we had a hide each. I don’t have the time, talent or fieldcraft to get truly wild photos.

The previous time I was lucky enough to take photos of kingfishers was also from a hide which was open to the public on a wildlife trust site.

The time before that three of them appeared on the decking on the log cabin next to the one we were using.

I am not claiming any of them have a natural history value. The photos are for my benefit and enjoyment. If members of the family, friends and others enjoy them, so much the better.

Even the pros use hides to take photos of these birds in the wild. Whether a photo is of natural history value is open to debate IMHO.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  12. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

First ,Steve, my remarks were not aimed at you personally - I made that clear.

Second it wasn't the use of a hide that was the key issue it was , effectively, feeding the birds. Photographers the world over use hides and not just for birds. That's normal and doesn't affect the behaviour of the creature in front of the lens. If they are regularly fed they become habituated, return to the same location time after time, and maybe , just maybe, cease to display the characteristics that the bird normally would.

You will have seen film of creatures being raised by man and being trained to become wild , to fend for themselves. These feeding stations have the danger of doing the opposite - training the creature to depend on man.

Thirdly and finally there are some unscrupulous photographers who would pass off these feeding station shots as truly wild just as that fellow did with his tame wolf in the British Gas affair. I've even known someone try to pass off a zoo shot as being taken in the wild. Some of the shots I've seen which have been taken at these Kingfisher locations are truly spectacular and to get them outside controlled conditions would be little short of miraculous. I didn't accuse you of that nor did I suggest that you were claiming any special NH value. There's no need at all for you to explain or be in the slightest miffed. The reason I posted as I did was so that folk were aware of these locations and so, when they saw such shots, they might ask the question about how they were obtained. They also might not need to ask the question about licences etc!
    MickLL

Bazarchie likes this.
  13. Stephen Rundle

Can we take it as read that I personally believe NO ONE on this forum would ever do anything considered inappropriate, this forum as far as I am aware has 99% responsible people on it :)

Bazarchie likes this.
  14. Bazarchie

One tip that stayed with me from the workshop was not to be afraid of using high ISO’s. The pro used much higher limits than I usually do, but there again he did have a 1DX Mark iii.

15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that I saw three storks fly over earlier this evening - they were silhouetted, but they were nothing like any other bird I can think of that I might have confused them with, the flight was very un-heron-like, and googling videos suggests the shape is right. I can't see any reports from other birders in the county, which worries me, but I just can't think what else they might have been. They flew very differently to the usual evening gulls, which is why I clocked them.

Catriona likes this.
  16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Anyone local have triplets born yesterday?

Zou, AndyTake2 and steveandthedogs like this.
  17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Fairly sure I saw something recently about them nesting in the Far East - East Anglia or Kent or somewhere.

Thought it may have been a different bird altogether. Something big and extinct in this country for the last few hundred years anyway.

S

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

19. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, I said exactly the same to SWMBO last night!

As Andy says, there are now storks in Sussex - they do migrate (like coconuts), so maybe?

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member