1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Twitchers Anonymous

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Apr 28, 2020.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Fnaar Fnaar

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I dunno, I leave an opening, and you just have to slip it in....

I spent a few minutes in the greenhouse with the 400mm, and got two visitors to the part of the garden furniture we just call "Mrs" - at that range and wide open, the DoF is less than the distance between a sparrow's beak and bum! This one didn't need it, luckily. North British viewers will be amused that, in the absence of a seat, I sat on an upturned pail. Need to go a bit closer to see the bird feeder without hacing to shoot through the glass and, at the mo, my staging is in the way.

_DSC0336.jpg

SXH, Catriona and RogerMac like this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The sparrows that nested in our loft are busy feeding what sounds like quite a large brood. The blue tits seem to have abandoned their nest under our eaves though. We're starting to see a pair of red Kites over the house regularly through the day, so maybe they have a nest nearby. I've also seen my first swift of this year.

4. gray1720

Yep, we have swifts too. I'm seriously considering getting a couple of swift boxes on our highest wall someday - I love swifts. They're not musical or beautifil, I think it's just the sheer raucous joy of their flying that does it for me. I remember having an appalling day at work once, got practically home on the bike still in an appalling mood just as the sun was setting when what must have been just about the last gaggle of young swifts left overtook me, stage left, screaming as they did so. I made the last couple of hundred yards home grinning like an eejit.

Next door had to rescue a blue tit from the greenhouse last night - it had sneaked in a gap and couldn't find it again to get out, doing the full-on nose to the glass wherethefeckisit thing.

Zou likes this.
  5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

We have a pair of Coal Tits nesting in one of the boxes all I have to ndo is capture a picture of themm they are so fast I have givven up. What with shootiing nthrouugh window g;lass and i the wheeelchairm II am a failiure today. :(
    Don

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Use 4k video on the tz80 and extract a picture from that?

ascu75 likes this.
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Coal tits are very difficult. They never stay still.

ascu75 likes this.
  8. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Thats a job fo/r tom/orro/w camera away now I am dead beat. :confused:

9. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I am enjoying watchi.ng the newly fledged birds trying th nego/tiate landing bird feeders. It is a spectacle I enjoy every year. The brand new birds still begging food fromm mum but practicing being grown up enough to land on an innch and a half slippery pole to feed outta the big scary feeder. Its no wonder so few reach adulthood. But then nature is cruel fish eggs are produced in their thousands but very few avoid predation. Its a dog eat dog out there!!! PUN INTENDED
    Don:eek:o_O

10. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Pigeon raiding one of our feeders

it also shows how rubbish I am at using the camera
    :rolleyes::p

Catriona likes this.
  11. gray1720

Saw my first Little Egret of the year today, splodging round a shallow pond - didn't have a camera as I was on the way to the lottie, pity as he was well within Black Mamba range - though not as close as the blackbird with a beakfull of worms who was watching me very closely as I dug!

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

This morning on my early morning walk, I saw a raptor high over the local health centre (which is a bit worrying!). Judging by the ID charts I've found, it was a red kite - the tail is a bit of a giveaway. :)

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, mine used to do the same. Persistent beggars aren't they?

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Depressed... Bullfinches are rare visitors to our garden, so imagine my delight about 15 minutes ago to see a female bullfinch at our bird bath sipping some water. And then tragically it flew from the bath straight into the kitchen window and sadly passed away. :( :( We've got stickers on the windows to help prevent that and apart from daft startled pigeons it's been a long time since that has happened. The pigeons at least always survive but the wee ones are more fragile/less padded I suppose.

15. gray1720

That sucks, Zou. First ever goldcrest I saw had done exactly the same.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

We also had a treecreeper a couple of years back - only one we've seen here.

17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I love bullfinches I saw one last year, first in nearly 30 years

18. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Just written to the Council......grass cutting stopped with lock down. All nice and flowery now but Skylarks have moved into the park! So they wont be able to cut the grass.....until they have gone.

Graeme

19. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Make sure you send an email to the RSPB and local wildlife organisations - they can make sure that the council knows and haven't 'lost' your communication. Skylarks are brilliant things - where I plan to go for a hobble today used to be packed with them (depends on what the farmer decides to grow) and in the morning it is possible to be within a few metres of them before they bounce up in the air and start their song.

20. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

Why are they called "twitchers" ?

Catriona likes this.