1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Twitchers Anonymous

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Apr 28, 2020.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Somewhere for all our bird-related posts.

I'm sat here watching the blue-tits service their nest in our boxed-in eaves.

ascu75 and Catriona like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Wonderful!
    This would make me walk in the nearby woods. Good idea. :)
    Although... I don't use my Nikon anymore, I'm sure I could get something.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I was watching a great tit going about similar business as I dressed this morning. It was in the uncovered edge of the fascia

Catriona likes this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Yesterday the tits were rummaging on the underside of the leaves of the roses, presumably looking for insects?

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Good idea, Martin! I've been watching the sparrows coming close while I'm in the greenhouse and thinking what I could do with the Black Mamba, though it's a bit of a PITA to carry on a walk (especially when I'm thieving bastard... I mean rockerying...).

I am absolutely with you on the ravens, Kate. I love the way they play in the air, pinioning them seems like taking their soul. I've gained so much pleasure from watching them over the years I've said more than once to SWMBO that, should I die in the hills, I've no objection to being left so that the ravens can derive pleasure from me.

ETA - a female friend with a lively sense of humour posted a picture on fartbook of the new occupants of her postbox. I responded that I could now say, with total ornithological accuracy, "Great Tits, love!".

Catriona likes this.
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Kate mentioned Ravens. We have some locally being blamed for killing someone's ducks. They are fantastic fliers. A friend of mine used to run the birds of prey displays at Blair Drummond and flew a Raven in displays.

11986943_10153040542511669_4168068103843646647_n.jpg

Geren, Catriona, miked and 1 other person like this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The thing about the lockdown is that the local birds seem a bit braver.

Saw this one singing its little heart out on my early morning walk and grabbed a quick pic.
    [​IMG]
    Dunnock
    by SteveH, on Flickr

Thought it was just a sparrow until I noticed the beak shape and checked. A check of some older, even worse, pics showed another couple that turned out to be dunnocks rather than sparrows. Oh, well, I never claimed to be an expert!

Catriona, miked and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

They're known colloquially as hedge sparrows.

Catriona likes this.
  9. miked

miked Well-Known Member

We haven't yet seen house martins or swallows. I expect they will be here within a week or so. The rain that has arrived will be helpful for nest building, it has been so dry recently.

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Ours arrived last week.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yep, but are a different family (Prunella) from house/tree sparrows (Passer).

12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've seen swallows and house martins nearby (though not at home yet), and where they are there will probably be a few sand martins too. I've not seen a swift yet, but a couple of people I know have. Sadly, our house has plastic doofers under the roof, so the swallows and martins can't nest (as far as I can see, anyway), though I'm sorely tempted by the idea of a swift box or two on the end wall.

With the drop in traffic noise from the A34, the local skylarks have sounded stunning this year.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about plastic fascias. I was so lucky in my old place, although in the 30 years we were there, we planted so many trees and got two ponds dug just for the wildlife, which repaid us 100 fold.
    I heard the rooks as I walked back from town (had to go to the bank to sub my sister in London). They always win in the fight for position by the harbour in the castle grounds - with the herons (who always try but lose out).

14. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

A robin has been visiting our garden the last few days.

Collared doves are a regular, but a couple of weeks ago, we found the remains of two on the lawn.

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The real twitchers must be having a torrid time of the lockdown - no more rushing from one end of the country to another (or further) on the sighting of a rarity

16. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

It's mostly pigeons and magpies here, and being under a mile from the sea a pair of gulls; when out in the garden an occasional robin and blackbird even less frequent a sparow or two, a wren and very rarely a green woodpecker and once a blue tit about 6 weeks ago.

I would have expected to see more variety as I have a bird bath in full view about 15' from my patio door, possibly a problem for smaller birds is that it's a fair sized glazed one so they may have difficulty perching when the water level drops, so I've put a piece of rough stone in one side, but no result so far

17. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Saw some long-tailed tits a couple of days ago.
    Our back door opens directly from our living room, and beyond the yard is a huge cherry tree. At the top of the cherry tree sits a blackbird, who knows the theme to University Challenge. He will also do the Star Wars Imperial March :D
    Pretty sure he tries to do Close Encounters of the Third Kind as well.
    He's up there singing every day. I think he may be the one that used to visit us until a few days ago, along with a female. Unfortunately we found a female dead just outside the garden - presumably a cat had got it.

Catriona likes this.
  18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Loads of blackbirds round here. More males than females, judging by the fight I saw between two males the other day while the female carried on looking for worms.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Our most regular visitors are goldfinches, blue tits, great tits, sparrows, starlings, blackbirds, magpies and robins. Also regular are coal tits, wrens, chaffinches, pigeons, collared doves and dunnocks. Less frequent are green finches, bullfinches, siskins, long tailed tits, nuthatches, treecreepers, grey wagtail, and some seasonal visits from thrushes, redwings etc. Plenty of gulls around but they never stop in our garden. Crows too rarely visit but are regularly seen in the vicinity. A few years ago I saw an owl just opposite the house. We're quite lucky really.

Catriona likes this.
  20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is quite a lot.

Most frequent: Blue Tit, Great Tit, House Sparrow, Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Wood Pigeon, Starling, Dunnock
    Less frequent: Goldfinch, Long Tailed Tit, Song Thrush, Magpie, Blackcap
    Rare: Greenfinch, Siskin, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Redwing , Fieldfare, Reed Bunting
    Very Rare: Bullfinch, Sparrow Hawk.
    Overhead: Buzzard, various Gulls (I'm not strong on gull id), Carrion Crow, Jackdaw.

of the Rare the first three only turn up if the feeders are in action. As it has been warmer this winter, and a squirrel keeps wrecking the, they have been mostly empty.