1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV advertisements you love to hate

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by miked, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

The ad that really get's on my t*ts is the one for 'Lawyers 4 you' with an out of work actor claiming "we are injury lawyers for you"- infering that he is also a lawyer. Funny, his bios on the net don't mention that he has legal qualifications.

2. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Not quite. That's only half of it. What they want is for you to use/buy their products and there's no way I'm going to when those adverts are so irritating.

3. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Well, yes, some of them have wormed their way into our subconscious but that's not necessarily a good thing. I woill never deal with Go Compare or Compare the Market, although I did use CtM to get an idea of the cost of insuring her MX5 before we bought it. Since many of the comparison sites are fronts for brokers, it's almost always cheaper to go to the companies they recommend directly and avoid the commision.

I don't like the ambulance chaser ads either - Trust our Lawyers.com and the like. If I fall and hurt myself, most of the time, I should have been looking where I was going.

I hated the Olympus ones fronted by the American actor - IMO, they were misleading at best and plain wrong (details escape me and I'm not going to look for the ads on youtube to remind myself!) at worst.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

What is this TV advertising thing then? Does this mean that there are more channels than the BBC?

5. dileas

dileas Well-Known Member

I don't know why it is, because I can see why people might not like it, but I've really grown to like the ISA girl advert. She's plain, but cheeky, and the more I look at it, the more she makes me chuckle.

6. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I don't mind some of the Go Compare ads, they're fun and don't take themselves too seriously.

One of the naffest of many naff ads is that 'We buy any car' shoyt, it's marginally worse than any number of those 'Text SEMI to ***** to hear from some slapper who'll pretend to be your g/f and text you back for £3.00 a pop' type ads.

Haven't these eejits heard of the Internet, plenty of aCurry&a... fodder for nowt, and if you get on IRC you can actually get your leg over within the hour, no fees!!

Ooh, did I type that last bit... :eek:

7. TheFatControlleR

Alas, I think the days of the 'classic' (and oft wonderful) TV ad are long gone. Budgets have to go much further than buying slots on just one or two channels these days, so there's not a lot left for the actual ad. :(

8. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

9. miked

miked Well-Known Member

One from yesterday I truly loved: Hamlet Cigars with Gregor Fisher.....now that was TV advertising at its best.

10. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

No, surely you mean, chuck up?

12. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Nice bum, though!

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

The day this advert series started i stopped watching commercial telly. Click Me. To slightly missquote Charlie Brooker its just a bit like watching Norman Bates. "Whats that mother?"

Of the Go Compare adverts this one is my favourite go compare man gets molested by jimmy carr Mmmm, probably not suitable for work that one. After seeing this i took them as a bit of harmless fun rather than screen punchingly annoying.

14. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I suppose it must have been done in conjunction with incontinence pants if the stories of the adios effect are true???

Graeme

15. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

As well as those mentioned above, there's one in particular that's winding me up at the moment...breakfast biscuits :mad:

16. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

The ISA one is my all time favourite, next the 'Satellite Dish' box thing, the girl is great. Followed closely by " My name's Giulietta, and the IKEA party one.

The most horrendous must be the, " This is an announcement from the London Mint Office" Followed closely by all the ambulance chaser jobbies.I always thought that 'Injury Lawyers for you' bloke should have been locked up for impersonating a police sergeant, now he is doing the same as a lawyer.

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

One sheet does plenty...the bairn
    loves doing the voice that one :)

Me I like the ad for those trainers that give women nice bums ;) :D

18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

If there was a Tena pants advertisement for men just who would be perfect for the role? Paul Daniels?

19. TheFatControlleR

Ah, the 'coke dealer come good' does breakfast radio shizz. I've never met a dealer who's up and about for breakfast. ;)

20. TheFatControlleR

I can't make my mind up whether that's Uma Thurman or a looky-likey. :D