1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV advertisements you love to hate

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by miked, Oct 29, 2010.

1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Of the current crop of TV adverts., the one my missue and I positively loathe is the Halifax ISA ad. The one which features the Halifax radio studio where the bloke is banging on about some crap ISA product and the harpy alongside starts on about 'Isa, isa, baby'. She should have been strangled at birth.
    Which TV advert(s) do you love to hate, I wonder?

2. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Bit harsh, she's just an actress trying to put bread on the table.

Now, had you advocated strangulation at birth for the recent crop of advertising executives I'd concur.

A recent ad for confused.com stated something along the lines that, "isn't the Internet great, the best invention of the century". Really? I thought it all came about during the last century...

There are other nonsensical ads out there and it seems to me that at no point along the line, from them being conceived to put out, has anyone had the nouse to spot the glaring error (whether in logic, grammar, history, or plain common sense), or had the balls to say something to the overpaid stain that came up with it.

And don't get me started on shizzle we just don't need.

As for annoying ads; my current is the hands-free hand-wash dispenser. All well and good, probably a godsend for some poor sod with crippling arthritis but, selling it on the basis that the top of the standard pump dispenser may have germs on it is obllox. Who cares if it has germs on or not, I'm gonna touch it BEFORE I wash my hands, not after!!

There'll be another along soon enough, so 'I'll be back'. ;)

3. Clive

Clive Well-Known Member

4. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

They're obviously trying to cash-in on people's paranoid fear of any dirt at all, for which they too should be strangled at birth.

Agree totally with the annoying confused.com ones, and all the Halifax ones. The Barclays ones in which they try to come over as your amusing friendly uncle rather than the rapacious scavenging weasels they are also annoy me - in fact all bank ones. That's easiest.

The patronising British Gas ones (we know your home is your world... urgghh! pass the sickbag) may come over even worse on radio than they do on the telly.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

118 have ruined the Ghostbusters :mad:

6. TheFatControlleR

I dislike any 'snake oil' ad, particualrly those that essentially tap into folks' vulnerabilities and propagandised desperation to conform to a norm perpetuated by the 'lifestyle' industry and media.

7. TheFatControlleR

Asbolutely. They'll be the death of us. ;)

8. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

I don't like the Halifax one either :(

My pet hate is Go Compare- nobody in our family will go anywhere near that sh!te (shot themselves in the foot AFAIC) :( :( :(

Cleverest one is Compare the Market dot com :cool:

9. miked

miked Well-Known Member

"Contains Fucus - Always read the label"

Is that spelled properly, or are they just toying with the masculine imagination?

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I've studied this advert very carefully indeed and have come to the conclusion that she wafts away a fart 14 seconds in. :eek: :eek: :D

11. james19

james19 Well-Known Member

The bank ads are particularly sickening, especially when you think of the billions of pounds of taxpayers money they have been given.
    Yet they still claim they are good with money!

British Gas are in 2nd place, a company with the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

12. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

In no particular order...

Halifax advert
    Go Compare
    Confused dot com
    Go Compare (so annoying it needs a 2nd mention)

13. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Go compare! Go compare! :D

You might not like it but it's effective. It's where I went when I'd left renewing my car insurance until the last minute. :)

14. Fire_Monkey

Fire_Monkey Nowt but a Monkeh!

Sadly, you're all proof that the Ad-Men have got it right! Irritating as f**k they may be but they have all wedged into your subconcience, just what the admen want!

15. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I keep my subconcience well hidden - I couldn't live with myself otherwise. My subconscious on the other hand is an entirely different kettle of fish. I get that out to polish it daily. ;););)

MickLL

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Pretty much all of them I'm afraid. I've never been a huge fan of TV advertising but just lately it seems to have gotten much worse with very little in the way of subtlety, sophistication or humour to be seen. Nowadays it's mostly hard sell coupled with a considerable amount of paranoia inducement - the latter particularly prevalent with so-called health and hygiene products... :(

17. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

18. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Oh, no!!!

[​IMG]

:D

19. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

(smug grin)As I don't watch TV I don't have a problem(/smug grin)

20. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

That advert makes me cringe with horror. I feel sorry for the poor sods who had to do it. I'm with Myk. It should be those who cme up with the idea that should be shot.