1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to hunt down a Zeiss Ikon Ikomatic CF

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Barney, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Hello peeps, long time no see!

I'm looking for one or more Zeiss Ikon Ikomatic CF or similar looking camera (I'm particularly looking for the faux wood effect, see pic below, but a similar camera with brown leather/faux leather would also be of interest.)

[​IMG]
    Zeiss Ikon Ikomatic CF by duncanwong, on Flickr

I'm not fussed about the working condition, as long as the body's in pretty good nick and it still looks the part is all that matters.

Not being one to usually partake in the purchasing of old camera kit, I'm hitting a bit of a brick wall. It's not the kind of camera dealer would be interested in, and though there's a classic camera fair coming up next week, I'd be more than a little lucky if one were to pop up there. Th'internet isn't throwing up anything, at least not i this country, FleaBay hasn't seen one in years, and so I was wondering if anyone here knew where I might be able to source one, possible dealers etc.

Or can anyone think of a similarly styled alternative?

2. Steve52

Steve52 Well-Known Member

Try these:

Camerex [​IMG]
    Unit 2/The Space Pl/Alphinbrook Rd/Marsh Barton Tradi, Exeter EX2 8RG
    01392 270717 ()‎

I've not used them, but I think they deal in old film cameras.

Worth a phone call and they may be able to suggest somewhere.

3. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve, I will, though I'll feel a bit like J.R. Hartley when I do!

4. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Mike, but it's the CF with the faux wood effect that I'm really looking for as I'm after the camera purely for it's aesthetic qualities.

There are plenty similar black/silver cameras to choose from so I've no need to spend more than a pound or two for them as they turn up in local charity shops/camera fairs/fleabay etc, but now I've seen the Ikomatic CF nothing else looks right for the project I have in mind.

I suppose that I could do a Blue Peter job with some stocky back plastic, but it would be nice to have the real McCoy (or should that be McIkon? :D )

If anyone can think of a similar small classic camera which would have brown leather/faux leather that might fit the bill too. I've discounted using a camera in the bottom of a brown leather case as it wouldn't be the right 'look'.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Closest thing I can think of is an Argus.

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick, that's really cool too! Only problem is now I want both! :D

Am I right in assuming that the Selenium meter on top is an optional extra and is detachable?

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, I think so. Most Arguses I've seen have been black and without the meter - they're very, very common in the US, but not quite so here - however, I bet it's easier to find than an Ikomatic.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Yes - part of the kit with the Matchmatic and Golden Shield versions, I presume an optional extra for the ordinary, and just slides into the cold shoe. They are quite a bit bigger than the Zeiss though - it's a hulking lump of bakelite for a 35mm camera.

Adrian

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks both!

Ah, a good reason to still try and get both then! Size will be important though, so all joking apart I'd be looking for a smaller alternative too.

11. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

As the actress lowers her standards the Bishop's breathe a sigh of relief.

12. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

Dumb question, but have you tried contacting the Flickr user? He may be local (long shot) or prepared to sell?

13. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It's a pretty old pic (2006 IIRC) and the poster is almost certainly not in the UK given the subjects of his blog. It could be worth along shot, but it's not a huge thing, and I wouldn't want to have to pay ££s in P&P from abroad for something that I can bide my time for here.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

As another thought, there's always this. Would actually fit in with some of your existing gear!

15. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Nick, but I'm needing something that has a certain look but also has minimal/nil value as there's a very high chance it may be dropped/thrown/kicked/anything you can imagine small boys and girls doing to a solid object. :eek:

The last thing I need it to do is take any pictures! :cool:

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Thought that might be the case. So it 82% fits the bill, then... ;)

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Just to update the thread, it transpires that my f-in-l has an Argus complete with green leather/faux leather which he has very kindly agreed to give me. It is a bit of a brick though so I am still on the hunt for an Ikomatic.

The quest continues!

18. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member