1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trust in Leaders

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54541907

I don't know much about the reliability of the Pew Research Center poll but the result does not surprise me.
    Also this was taken before Trump carelessly suggests that Egypt should blow up Ethiopia's new Nile dam.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The best thing is to go to the source material and also find out who Pew are, rather than relying on BBC lifting a few results and presenting them as news. I doubt that any independent critical analysis of this was done before citing it.

3. Learning

Either by me or the BBC!
    Its simply citing a result some of us might like. I did warn you about my lack of knowledge of Pew Research.

4. PeteRob

The BBC. They just parrot. If you wanted to know more about Pew Research you’d have to research them and it is always better to look at the source report than someone’s selection from it or more likely their selection from, or copying of, the press release.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Pew Research have been around since the early 1990s. The started out as an offshoot of the Times-Mirror organisation, which existed in one form or another from 1892 to 2000. in 1993, with Times-Mirror about to go belly up, the Pew Foundation took over the organisation. Pew were originally a socially conservative organisation but has moved to the centre with a fairly rigid non-partisan stance since the 1980s, which is reflected in the activities of the Pew Research Center.

They appear to be generally regarded as a neutral observer and their reports are given high credibility by most news organisations.

RovingMike and Learning like this.
  6. PeteRob

Tx. They probably just put out a press release then, which gets copied.

7. Learning

At least the BBC stated the source of the report. Many news organisations just state that "A report says... "

There's two issues here
    • Validity of the poll and report.
    • The findings of the poll. Is Trump really distrusted less than Putin or Xi.
    My take on the latter is that we expect decent behaviour from the president of a Western Democracy and are outraged by Trump, whereas we get from Russia and China what we expect.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

"Hew", "Pew", "Barney McGrew"; Cuthbert, Dibble & Grub. Now, doesn't that explain things more clearly, eh?

LesleySM likes this.
  9. Learning

Are they a firm of solicitors?

miked likes this.
  10. PeteRob

Nope, try again.

11. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

He wasn’t getting very hot

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh, that's a burn.

13. PeteRob

More of a washout.

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Hosed down and left oot to dry?

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Obviously all about where the US President comes from!

miked likes this.
  16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Your post now comes up second on google for those firemen! Ha!

miked likes this.
  17. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

No wonder it’s a burning issue

18. PeteRob

Shows that the indexing robots follow every word. Never write anything you’d regret!

19. Learning

What's wrong with Trumpton/Camberwick Green .

20. PeteRob

Nothing at all. Shame to spoil it though.