1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Trump under fire:

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by miked, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

It would but the chance of a single payer like the NHS is small at best. Right now only 50% give or take 5% want it. The mood may change but it's not going to go for a single payer. More likely a version of the ACA.

Medical cost must come down.. it's killing many
    Sorry for the loss of your uncle.

2. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes New Member

If the Democrats can take both the Presidency and the Senate in November, there will be a huge push for "Medicare for All" which is basically how we'd move toward a form of single-payer health coverage. I don't think the country is ready for it, but things are moving in that direction.

Thanks to the Affordable Care Act (crudely referred to as "Obamacare") it is now possible for anyone, at any income level, to get some form of health insurance although it varies from state-to-state and the coverage may be thin.

This is a very large, dispersed and varied society that lacks the cohesion and sense of commonality of Western European nations. In other words, many people here don't really feel that everyone is "entitled" to health care. That's changing, but slowly.

Trump has contributed nothing to this issue, as with all the rest.

3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Derek, that's terrible news regarding your uncle; my most sincere condolences on your loss.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  4. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I hesitate to say it but I have NEVER EVER complained about Great Britain, sorry.

My family goes back generations.......... Mothers side Welsh.

The legal service has been there when I have needed it, I have used the small claims court many times and never paid a penny, I appreciate ALL the help a disabled person could ever ask for, whilst the NHS could be better regarding mental health and more we have it, and I have no complaints, I am so so so appreciative and lucky we are getting a Motability car, I worked all my life and never moaned about paying in.

If we need an ambulance or police we call 999 NO charges and you know 99.999999% of the time you will never be let down.

Free education, school meals where needed, no GB is not perfect we do not live in utopia, but we have it so well here compared to so many I will NEVER complain.

I/we have a lot to be grateful for.

I remember my father saying, "If you don't like it here, move abroad, there is NOTHING keeping you in the UK"

Thank you GB, NHS for what we have my disabled son and I.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  5. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

Thanks guys

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  6. Stephen Rundle

My so very very sincere condolences :( I wish you all the very best

Derek W likes this.
  7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I gather Trump might like to delay the next US election dates - Can't imagine why!

8. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Just reading this now. I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, Derek. The NHS may have many flaws, but I think it's pretty safe to say that no one ever took their own life because the NHS bankrupted them.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  9. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Good thing he can't. Congress sets the date for the election on the federal level.

10. Stephen Rundle

I am taking bets (only joking) on whether he will even make it to the next election, or have a VERY serious illness !!!! he is looking really bad.

Heart attack even money

Nervous breakdown 3-2

Covid 19 3-1

Im just guessing what all that means I have never placed a bet in all of my life ;) ;)

11. Stephen Rundle

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  12. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I believe the only time an election was delayed was during the 2nd World War when Roosevelt was president and that was done with countries wartime interests at heart.

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Conspiracy theory no 2001, someone somewhere in a country far away who wants Trump to carry on being President starts a little skirmish...just handbags at 2metres sort of thing, and lo and behold Trump manages to postpone the election, and then he wins the election next year or whenever it's held...