1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True Detective Season 1. What next?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by willie45, Aug 29, 2016.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Well I've just finished the above and I loved it. I have heard Season 2 is not as good but I might give it a go.

I wonder if any of you good people have recommendations on what I should go after next? To give you an idea others I have enjoyed are:

The Wire
    Sopranos
    Homeland

All suggestions gratefully received

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Have you watched Narcos? That was a really good series and series 2 is starting next month.

3. willie45

Now someone was going on about Narcos to me recently I can't remember who. I might well give it a go. Is it on Netflix?

4. dream_police

Yes it is. It's a drama, but uses original footage as well. Quite violent at times too. Series 2 starts 2/9

I don't know if you ever watched breaking bad. I came to that party very late. Struggled through the first 4 or so episodes but stuck at it and was then hooked. On some days off I watched a load back to back. A total waste of a day, then just before my wife came home, a last minute whizz round the house with the hoover!

5. willie45

My experience of Breaking Bad was similar. I thought the first season was pretty pedestrian but got a bit better as it went along then by the last episode I was interested. From the second season on, it was compelling.

6. Lost_In_France

Lost_In_France Well-Known Member

Much preferred Season 2 of True Detective.

7. willie45

Glad to hear. A lot of people didn't like it as much as the first one but maybe because it was unfamiliar. I will probably give it a go.

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

"Better call Saul" - a prequel to Breaking Bad is terribly addictive. We're waiting for Season 3.

9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I have to say i thought the black and white introductory sequence for Better call Saul was a magnificent bit of filming...... and it features Cinabon..

Graeme

10. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Just thinking about the old boxed set thing.... I thought Fargo was a good watch.... Billy Bob is not the sort of guy you want to get stuck in the lift with.

Graeme

11. dream_police

Likewise. I thought it was very good. I wish they'd put the whole series up in one go rather than weekly like with series 2. That's what I like about netflix normally, if you are so inclined you can watch back to back episodes.

12. dream_police

For something fairly rubbish, but enjoyable, was Stranger Things also on Netflix. Cheesy 80's horror type of thing.

Agree about the Fargo set. I really got into them. My wife couldn't stand them though.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

On a tangent, I watched the Childhood's End miniseries this weekend and was amazed by its fidelity to the book. They changed a few things as they always do, especially converting Rikki Stormgren from Secretary General of the UN to an obscure American farmer, but Charles Dance was a convincing Karellen and they kept the shape of the book and its climax intact.

14. willie45

I had forgotten about Beter Call Saul. Good ermm.. call. I will check it out.

15. willie45

No he's not. That was a spooky old performance

16. miked

miked Well-Known Member

It's Lorne Malvo who has my blood running cold.

17. willie45

I believe he's the same guy. You're right. Compelling.

18. willie45

Right. I've located Better Call Saul and am getting started on that now. Will follow the other suggestions in due course. Thanks folks.