1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tripods

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by AdrianW, Jul 18, 2001.

1. AdrianW

AdrianW Well-Known Member

I've decided that I'm not getting enough support.. So I've decided to get a new tripod ;-) I'm currently using a Benbo Trekker and I'm very happy with it, however I'm going overseas soon so I was wondering if there were any lighter alternatives? The Gitzo range of carbon fibre tripods look interesting, but one my main interests is macro photography, and for that I need a tripod that can go right down to the ground - which AFAIK the Gitzo range don't..

Does anyone have any recommendations, or shall I just stick with my Trekker?

2. Steve L

Steve L Well-Known Member

Adrian
    I've been looking at this issue recently, also thinking of changing my Trekker which I use with a Monfrotto MG460 head for my Mamiya RB67 with no problems at all. The tripod and head weigh around 3 lbs.
    Buying a CF model would save me around 1 to 1.5 lbs. Saving 50%? Not really. As a pecentage of the total weight I carry around, saving 50% on the tripod alone is not worth the £250 a CF model costs. In addition, there is only one CF model on the market which is as versatile as the Benbo; the Gitzo explorer, which also has independant legs. It costs around £300!
    IMHO CF models are not worth the silly prices being charged. Stick to your Benbo and spend £40 or so on the Manfrotto MG460 magnesium head. A superb combo.
    HTH
    Steve

3. AdrianW

AdrianW Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve! I had a quick look on the Gitzo website, but I can't seem to find any reference to the Explorer.. Any ideas?

4. Steve L

Steve L Well-Known Member

Adrian
    Try www.warehouseexpress.com. They are selling the 3 section model for £299 and the 4 section one for £339.
    Steve