1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

tripod

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by David Wheddon, Jun 22, 2020.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No, this is abuse of the camera shop's good will.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

I assume you did see the :( I posted,

My post was "Then buy it pre owned in mint condition 1/3 the price from Ebay :("

Who doesn't do it, 99.99999% of us do, we see things out shopping, cookers, CDs, clothes, you name it then buy online

I really can not remember the last time I "shopped" off line other than food, it is no less than 6 years ago, more choice, fast delivery, no people, lower prices

3. PeteRob

Pull all the funny faces you like but too many people treat camera shops like that. My son worked in one. People traipse in, ask their questions then go off and buy cheap. Eventually there will be no opportunity to see goods.

4. Stephen Rundle

Again "Who doesn't do it, 99.99999% of us do, we see things out shopping, cookers, CDs, clothes, you name it then buy online"

Do you do online banking ?

In ten years there will be no high street :(, oh I have spent £798 with LCE this week :) (ONLINE)

Today's news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51851791

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  5. PeteRob

I worked in Brussels for 5 years. You won't find a bank as we know it there. Automated tellers for everything. Barclays has largely replaced its staff with them in Chester.

The only things I buy online are those that I can't get in a shop. Online banking is a bit different to making a purchase of something that you'd like to see in the flesh. It hasn't replaced going to a bank for me. I'll make a BACS payment where before I'd write a cheque, otherwise that's it.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

7. Stephen Rundle

And there you have it "The only things I buy online are those that I can't get in a shop".

1. You are able to get "to" the shops, many can not, lockdown proves that even for you :)
    2. Shops are limited as to what they can stock the internet is not
    3. Any online banking takes away bank jobs, and you WILL one day do more after all you admit shopping online, using a credit/debit/paypal account is taking bank face to face work away, someone had to check and authorise the cheques once, we stopped using cheques, went contactless "online" etc no more of these staff

No one missed half day closing Wednesday or now even remember it other than old people, we take Sunday opening as read now and it will become 24 hour within a year or so, even a rent/mortgage payment IS online banking.

chq.jpg

Snorri likes this.
  8. Stephen Rundle

Anyway I am very guilty at the divergence of this thread, my fault so I will post no more on it as it was about Tripods.

Sorry :(

9. PeteRob

That’s one of the most perverse posts I’ve ever seen. Abandon retail because the internet is better but don’t use plastic because it hurts the high street banks? Still, if you only use cheques for all your internet purchases, good for you.

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Back to the original post...

Hi David,

Back in the early 80s when I started photography I bought a cheap tripod for taking on walks/trips and soon regretted it. Okay it was light and easy to carry around, but it wasn't that stable and it broke after a short amount of use.

Then a friend taught me the 'Tripod Mantra'; "Buy Cheap, Buy Many". In buying a cheaper tripod I would have to replace it sooner and more often than buying a more expensive one!

Taking his advice - and looking at the type of photography I was doing at the time - I saved up and bought a Benbo Trekker and a Manfrotto head. That was about 1985, now 35yrs later (gawd I feel old!) I've still got the same tripod and often use it when a normal tripod won't do the job,

The same goes for a standard tripod, I saved up and bought the best I could (reasonably) afford at the time. Early 90s I bought a decent Manfrotto, a Manfrotto trigger head and a Kirk ball-head. All of which get used regularly, the trigger head probably the least.

In regards to a pan/tilt head, I used to own a Wimberley for nature photography but always used to get frustrated with it. It just didn't suit my shooting style and I sold it after about 6mths use and went back to using the Kirk ball-head.

TL/DR
    1 - Research what you need for your type of photography.
    2 - Buy the best you can reasonably afford (from wherever you want to purchase it)
    3 - Have fun.

11. Stephen Rundle

Re FEN's reply

100% A1

However as he stated, I shoot sports for myself and magazines and use only a Wimberley eg motorbike, for one when you are shooting sport for a long time you need a FAST mount, with a Wimberley (other makes available) I easily feather touch control the altaz movements with just my left thumb and forefinger and pan/soot with right hand, walk away, camera mounted ready for next shot. Impossible with a B/S or pan/tilt head

The bulb however was one of 20 bulbs killed, same place every time so pan/tilt

Horses for courses.

The only use I have for a B/S is a monopod. I would use a pan/tilt for landscape also

What no one ever says is buy pre owned, I have no idea why people don't mention this ? Why spend £150 new when the same thing in good used condition can be £50

a.jpg
    edited bulb.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Keith Bontrager, an early pioneer of the mountain bike, made the quote ‘strong, light, cheap..... pick two..’
    The same quote applies to tripods.

beatnik69 and Craig20264 like this.
  13. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

hi, as above, but as I have pointed out before, I am on my 2nd tripod after 45 years of using them. Buy the best you can afford, it will serve you for a long time, Go carbonfiber, have been using one for last 10 years, only extra heads could improve.

14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

'I've had this same tripod for 30 years'
    'Only had 12 new leg locks'
    '5 new heads'
    '6 quick release plates'
    '8 rubber feet.'
    '2 replacement legs....'

15. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That will Trigger a reaction ;)

16. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

My oldest tripod is a late 40's wood and alloy tripod. But only single extension legs so not Convenient but stable for moderate weight.
    My next oldest is a 1950's Bilora. Almost pocket steel spindly legged thing that is in perfect condition and will hold an Fuji XT 30 perfectly well indoors.... I tried it.

My work horse is a manfrotto 055 proB with additional spiked feet, big. Heavy solid as a rock.
    My most recent is a manfrotto 190 pro L which is the rare extra tall version of the 190 proB which I got for shooting 360x180 Pans but find ideal with all my Fuji Aps Cameras.
    I mostly use a three way head as it is more easily set up accurately. Though I have heavy. Medium and light weight ball heads. And Nodal Ninja heads for multirow and 360x180 panoramas... I have just ordered a new Chinese low profile medium to small ball head, 30mm ball, which looks like it should be sag free. Balls pretty much all move a smidgen when you lock them up.

All my heads how take arca Swiss type plates and adapters and L brackets.

The only tripod that I had, that completely wore out in only 7 years was the popular Slik 88.
    Tripods mostly last very well and the better makers supply spare parts for even ancient ones.
    The same is not true of most of the far East imports.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No, it'll get swept up!
    I have had my Benbo for well over 30 years and I have an even older Velbon, possibly 40 years old.
    The various bits of the Benbo appear to still be available.