1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tripod advice for large format pinhole

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by photogirl, Sep 25, 2006.

1. photogirl

photogirl Member

Hi - I'm confused by the level of choice and could really benefit from from some advice. We have a zero 45 pinhole camera and want to buy a sturdy tripod. We are thinking to match it with a 2 way pan tilt head. Our budget for the tripod (minus head) is about £140ish. Camera will mostly be used outdoors, and weight is something of an issue although we won't be climbing mountains or trekking for the whole day. Stability is of course key but we are unlikely to be out in storms, or even high winds (fairsh weather photographers that we are - well when using the pinhole anyway) And removable central column seems sensible.

Am thinking that maybe the Velbon 630 pro, Velbon sherpa pro CF 531 (or 631) EL or Manfrotto 055pro might do the job - any thoughts???

Any advice massively appreciated

2. eryri

eryri Well-Known Member

I use a Velbon sherpa pro CF 531 for my large format camera, and I'm well pleased with it. Sturdy, but light, and well made. I carry a golfing brolly to use as a windbreak when tripping the shutter (in anything more than a stiff breeze, LF cameras think they're a box kite /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) The brolly doubles as a walking stick, and, er.......a brolly /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. wesforee

wesforee Well-Known Member

I use a Manfrotto 028 with 029 head - the whole lot cost less than £100 secondhand. It's really solid and stable, but very heavy, to the point where it's not practical to carry it any great distance. It also extends a long way, probably 7+ feet.

Matt

4. cnc

cnc Member

I use a Manfrotto 190PROB + the 460 MG head, the kit costs around 135 pounds, I think that's really the best bet, it is not heavy but extremely stable (more stable than other celebrated Manfrotto models, although I must confess I do not know the Gitzo tripods). I haven't used it with large format cameras (I do not know the very model you are using), but I have used it with medium format cameras, often under very windy conditions, I never had any problem.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

A 190 "more stable than other celebrated Manfrotto models"? It's a nice little tripod, but it's a bit stretched with some MF kit, never mind LF. But it might just do this job, though.