1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Travel blog launch, would love your feedback

Discussion in 'Personal Portfolio Sites' started by Rasha, May 15, 2016.

1. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

Dears,

I've started my career 6 years ago (non photography related) to sponsor two things; photography & travel. Photography took a shove back in the list due to the demands of my job and my lack of energy. However it was kept alive through travel, every year I go to 2 or 3 destinations not necessarily new but definitely for a new experience.

I've always liked to tell people how it felt, show them what I saw, and started a couple of notes on face book but then I created another travel blog and just posted my first story last night;
    https://rou5atravels.com

So please check it out, any feedback is appreciated, thanks :)

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sorry, doesn't work for me. The English is shaky (misuse of semi-colon in the third sentence, or for example "keeping me busy and fulfilled with sugar cane juice and coconuts"); half the pictures could with advantage be dropped (people don't really care what you look like, or your friends and hosts unless they're doing something interesting); I didn't feel in the least involved (try to make your reader feel that it's about them at least as much as about you, so use "I" as little as possible); the "did you know" format really doesn't work (yes, I did know half of it, and there was no background, explanation or interest in "Did you know they study Egyptian and Greek history at school?? …" quite apart from the fact that two question marks add nothing); "Alappuzah" does not, as far as I know, mean anything... The list goes on.

No doubt all this sounds harsh, but I've actually done quite a lot of this sort of thing professionally and written it up for magazines. Two of my most memorable trips were a motorcycle tour of South India (Madras-Cape Kannyakumari-Goa-Madras) in 1990 on an Enfield Bullet and a Grand Tour of Central and Southern Europe in 2009 in a 1972 Land Rover. I've also written books on travel, such as Motorcycle Touring in Europe (Collins), The Out of Season Holiday Guide (Christopher Helm) and Travel Photography (The Focal Press).

Like you, I work to feed my travel habit, and I wish you every success in doing the same, but it's going to take a lot more work before you can produce a truly interesting travel blog instead of "what I did on my holidays".

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  3. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

Hi Roger, thank you really for taking the time reading through my entire post to provide a quality feedback.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Rasha,

You're welcome. Thanks for not being too upset. Within reason, anything else I can do to help, I will. It's a great way to live and if I can help you to do the same, I'd be happy: you're probably about my daughter's age (she's 25, born on my 40th birthday).

Cheers,

R.

5. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

I can't be upset when you invested the time to help, on the contrary your feedback is appreciated. I've been following you since I started to develop an interest in range finders and photography in general (around 13 years ago) and value your opinion, the things you pointed out will definitely help me do better.

6. jamesjick

jamesjick In the Stop Bath

thats good .There are lot of usefull information on your blog ..

7. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

Thank you James, hopefully next post will be better aswell :)