1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Transportation

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by RovingMike, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember that one. :)
    Actually, the last time I was in London, it felt almost antiseptic. Has it rubbed out all the character? I do recall back streets nicely dark and gloomy in my day. I suppose you get used to it.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well yes it has destroyed that aspect of London, as did removal of the smog in a previous era, but all a lot more pleasant. I used to hate the sight of London Bridge Station, but now it is a joy to pass through. We used to be so ashamed of tourists seeing it.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Are you considering travelling any of the lines? It would be interesting to me to see, for example, the outskirts, like Uxbridge etc. Even I didn't experience smog, though my hubby did when he grew up in London. My earliest haunts were in the Kensington area and surrounds.

4. RovingMike

Not really. I travel in by rail, so see those stations. They are OK. I don't see outlying tube stations. Can add Tottenham Ct Rd, Bond St, Oxford Circus, large parts of Victoria and Waterloo to list of those that have been really well redeveloped.

Catriona likes this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I was given 'Underground - London's Underground The Story of the Tube' for Christmas. Some lovely photographs by Benjamin Graham to illustrate it.

RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  6. RovingMike

I would love a tour of all the abandoned stations. Might bring out the latent urbexer in me.