1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transfering RAW images from Fujifilm S5 Pro to PC??

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by mr_london_lover, Mar 28, 2008.

1. mr_london_lover

mr_london_lover Active Member

hi all
    I have a Fujifilm S5 Pro. I can transfer every image except RAW images which wont transfer to the PC even though they are on the camera.

Went in to MY COMPUTER and located them though external camera device but can't open them. They seem to be RAF Files

Do i need a certain programme to open these RAF files?

Can anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

2. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about your camera but would imagine it came with software to open and save your raw files. If not there are a number of other programs that can open them. If you have Photoshop or Elements the minimum version required to open you files are Photoshop CS3 or Elements version 5 as these support ACR version 4.1 which is the required minimum.

I have a web page that lists the currently supported cameras for all versions of ACR here.

3. mr_london_lover

I've got Photoshop CS, version 8.0...Don't think it supports ACR Version 4.1

I didn't get any software with the camera but it seems now I should have done. :-(

Is there any webpage out there that's perhaps got download to help me out on this? There must be some kind of RAW viewing programme available to download on the net?

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Try the fuji S5 Pro website (google for it)

5. mr_london_lover

Have done mate....Could only find drivers for firmware upgrades etc

6. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

Have you tried downloading via a card reader?

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Then I suggest you contact the person you bought the camera from, if I remember correctly you said it was 2nd hand.

8. mr_london_lover

Ok installing this

FinePixViewer Ver.5.4 Updater for Windows Vista/XP/2000/Me/98SE

Not sure if this will work....As it says its an updater...Anyway I'm trying it as we speak and its a big file....45minutes to download........ 56mb size

Fingers crossed!

9. mr_london_lover

Haven't got one mate...How much are they?

10. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

If you can see the files through My Computer, presumably you can move/copy them as with any other file on the computer. Your problem sounds like having no software to read and display the contents of the RAW rather than not being able to transfer them.

11. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Not expensive. £10 or £15. But that doesn't sound like your problem. It's not having the correct software to open the RAW files.

You could always download the free Adobe DNG Converter which should convert the RAF files to DNG which should be compatible with PS CS.

12. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

The idea of a card reader is that it plugs into your PC/Mac via a USB port and you then put your memory card in that rather than attach the camera to the PC. The card/reader will be seen as another disk on your PC and you can drag the files to your hard disk with explorer or use the wizard if it pops up. Once the raw files are on your PC then the Fuji software should open them. You can get them as cheap as £10 or so.

13. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

It isn't altogether clear whether your problem is that you can't transfer the RAW files from your camera to computer or whether you can't open them when they are in the computer.

I can't imagine it being the former. All you have to do is drag and drop them. That should work regardless of file type. If as is more likely, you can't open them that is a software problem. You need Fuji's software to open their RAW files and convert them to TIFFs or JPEGs. If you haven't got it try here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital/download/04/

14. mr_london_lover

Sorry I should have been more clearer. Yes you are right..that is my problem.

Large format....I think that link as well as the large file I just downloaded is an Updater only...I think you need to install the software disk which i haven't got first then you can download them updaters to update it.

15. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

That's pretty much standard practice, stops piracy (to some extent)

Is there any chance you can talk to the previous owner of the camera to see if they have the software?

16. mr_london_lover

Unfortunately no my friend...

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Then... unless you want to buy Adobe Lightroom or something else you might be up the creak!

Sorry :(

Probably a good idea to wait until this evening to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

18. mr_london_lover

Just downloaded the DNG Converter and it converted the RAF files to DNG but still no joy :(

My Photoshop CS is not recognising this DNG format.

19. mr_london_lover

Thanks for your help anyway matey, appreciate it.
    I'm sure there has got to be another simple way round this though. :D

20. sillyconguru

sillyconguru Well-Known Member

What version of the ACR plug-in is installed in CS? I think it has to be at least v2.3 in order to be able to recognise DNG files.