1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Touchdown

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by AdrianSadlier, Jan 26, 2020.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Touchdown by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

A cormorant lands after flying upriver on the Dodder.

Does the composition/action compensate enough for the questionable IQ?

alfbranch likes this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It was a moment you certainly had to catch. Love the water splash especially. To my mind he's a bit central - needs a bit more room to move into perhaps? And I'd definitely convert this to B&W - lifting the shadows under the wings, on the body and around the eye. Quite contrasty still though - this one needs some punch I think.

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Difficult. I wouldn’t bin it. Will it take a stop increase in exposure? There seems to be detail there, it depends on whether the feather detail will lift. It is a shame the bird is looking so straight ahead as the eye makes a difference. The colour action in cormorants makes them special so I’d not go the mono route if colour can be kept. Assuming it’s a crop I’d agree with Geren to keep a bit of space.

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The art of photography is much about getting the best shot that you can given the circumstances.
    In this case it would have been perhaps better to give it a bit more exposure but the capture is excellent.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I'm sure it is all there in the raw file and just needs a better conversion.

6. AdrianSadlier

I'll upload the RAW file tonight to Google drive if anybody wants to have a go!

7. RovingMike

I will.

8. AdrianSadlier

9. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Active Member

[​IMG]

10. PeteRob

Ok you did pretty well with that. Having seen the raw I'd not even try! Just about the only way to get a useable exposure in that position, if there are not earlier test opportunities, is an incident light measurement. Spot metering on a dark bird against a reflective surface going into the light is not going to work.

11. RovingMike

Best I could do, but it picked up a lot of noise:

[​IMG]

The Barbarian and AdrianSadlier like this.
  12. RovingMike

Crop version:

[​IMG]

13. AdrianSadlier

Thanks guys. I appreciate the effort.

I think I need to go back on a brighter day, probably a bit earlier so the sun is lower. In my mind I was stuck between too high enough ISO to capture the motion and the dread of noise. Also with the sun's angle the underside of the wings were in deep shadows.

I think I erred on the ISO side. I should have put it to at least ISO 800 or 1250. A closer more critical look at the RAW file shows a softness in the image which is down to motion blur. 1/1000th of a second was too slow for a moving bird.

Next time I will do better (I hope) if I can manage to get there early enough on a sunny day. If I do, I will post it here.

14. PeteRob

More probably the predictive AF with the cormorant coming toward you and quickly slowing down.