1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Top ten cleanest cities

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by swanseadave, Feb 17, 2011.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

2. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Excellent, an opportunity for full bore grumpyness :)

I'm not surprised that there are only a couple of UK cities in the list, as, whenever, I return from abroad, I get that ashamed to be British feeling when I see the litter, graffiti and consequences of vandalism that are common in the UK.

Both me and the missus are volunteer Sustrans Rangers, and that involves keeping the local cycle tracks in a more acceptable condition than they otherwise would be. The amount of litter dropped by kids going to and from school has to be seen to be believed, while there is an ongoing problem with under age drinkers delighting in smashing empty bottles all round the place.

I have witnessed accompanied children dropping crisp packets etc in the full gaze of feckless parents, so what hope for the future?

A return to cruel and unusual punishments, as well as deportation, is the only answer. ;)

Aggrieved of Washington.

3. swanseadave

Totally agree.By and large this country is a filthy place.
    We`ve holidayed in many places and I`ve yet to see anywhere as dirty and littered as here. :(

4. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Actually Dave, when we first went to France around 40 years ago, that used to be a pretty grotty place too, but they have cleaned up their act big style in recent years while we have slithered further down the greasy pole.

5. swanseadave

Some 20+ years ago we took the kids to a theme park(Meli Park)in Ostend.Scattered around the place were giant moulded figures with large mouth openings and big signs and audio to encourage children to put litter in.It acted like a vacuum cleaner and responded with a loud thank you when something was put in.When my two had picked up everything in sight they nagged us for something else to put in.
    Huge fun for kids and very very successful.
    I wish I`d taken a picture of one. :D

6. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Funny, out of the ten listed I would not choose to live in any of them.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I'm slightly tempted by Edinburgh but all the foreign ones - no thanks :( There are some nice places to live in Canada but not the two mentioned.

Roger

8. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Wow Brian... For someone who lives in Leeds.... :D :D

9. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

The cleanest cities are the ones they haven't built yet. Funnily enough, the buildings are always a worse eyesore than anything the inhabitants do with them. People make the place look untidy, too.

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

But I never said that I had chosen to live in Leeds.

11. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

As someome who lives in Edinburgh, this must be a joke or something.....would hate to see the most dirty list.

12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Fair comment. We all have a cross to bear.
    I come from Stoke-on-Trent. There was an earthquake there last week. Did ten millions pounds of improvements..!!

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

In my experience, precisely the opposite is true. This country is generally hugely cleaner than it used to be.

14. Linux_Lady

Linux_Lady Well-Known Member

I always thought Bath was a very clean and nice place to live. I was lucky enough to work there for a year and when I stayed in hotels, I could walk back to the hotel at midnight, on my own... always felt safe and I rarely saw any litter at all.

I don't think London is overly clean, however I think that other countries are worse in some ways - For example, I thought Rome was beautiful, but their underground system was far, far more manky than ours.

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

The gas main along our street is being replaced. There's temporary traffic lights. The road and gutter is strewn with litter that's been thrown out of vehicles while the lights are on red. What's outside our house once a day I collect and put in the bin. Litter will get worse. With all the council budgets being cut, road and path cleaning sure as eggs are eggs will be one of the first to go.

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have not tried the Rome underground but I did recently take a commuter train out of Rome and down the coast - I noticed that several of the regulars came equipped with their own throw-overs to protect themselves from the filthy seats, and we wished we had some also. :eek:

Edit: Whilst on the subject has anyone else tried the open top tourist buses in Ottawa? - manky, decrepit and way past their use by date, almost any British city puts them to shame.

Roger

17. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Depends where you look. I would agree that parts of London are much improved, for example, but in the post Thatcher industrial wasteland of the north, where large scale unemployment is the norm, the reverse is true.

18. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Yeah, so it's a pity some of the people on benefits can't be persuaded to pick up litter instead of dropping it ...

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, I don't think that's even remotely true. They were much, much worse in the time of Thatcher than they are now.

20. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

In what way Nick? I don't recall the boarded up shops, graffiti, drug dealing and general sense of hopelessness born of long term unemployment that we have on some estates now. I've just seen a piece on the local news about the problems relating to the stealing of copper cable from the railways, a symptom of the general malaise.