1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toothbrushes

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhotoEcosse, Jul 16, 2017.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

About four years ago my dental hygienist told me to bin my Oral-B electric toothbrush and use a Phillips Sonicare instead.

Last week, having changed dental practice, the dental hygienist told me to bin the Sonicare and buy an Oral-B.

So, what is the consensus of opinion?

Do different professionals genuinely have different opinions?

Does toothbrush technology change so rapidly that brands leapfrog each-other regularly?

Or do dental practices get flung a bung by manufacturers to punt their wares?

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect you have it right there.

I've already mentioned on another thread that I used to have a Saturday job in a chemist many years ago. For reasons now forgotten, I was asked to join the boss and his wife to an event 'sponsored' by a drug company pushing their latest product. I think it was Sinutab. We all got a free dinner, a guest speaker and a goodie bag of products from the company in question. The next week we recieved a bunch of point of sale bumpf. And the next thing I know we're being told to suggest Sinutab to anyone who comes in looking a bit peaky. I was never told, but always suspected that the boss was given some financial reward beyond a paper bag of cough and cold remedies.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Mine just asked if I used one and was pleased I did. Didn't bother about the make.

S

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a good old fashioned toothbrush?

Zou and Catriona like this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Nothing.

dream_police likes this.
  6. dream_police

Good.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Now that I'm old, I have a degree of overlapping on my front lower teeth.
    Hygienist gave me some ducky little toothbrushes on my last visit. I think they were for kids, but they are super and controllable and I can manipulate them into little places. One thing I hate is the current vogue for HUGE headed toothbrushes!
    I've always used a manual brush. Just my choice.
    Still got some teeth. :D

8. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Depends what you mean by 'opinion'?

Take a look on the shelves/cases in their reception area, what brand dominates? That's where the brown envelope full of opinion comes from (as has been suggested). ;)

willie45, PhotoEcosse and Roger Hicks like this.
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I remember my now retired dentist commenting on toothpaste, "toothpaste's toothpaste, there's no real difference between any of them", imagine in a Welch accent btw.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Mine asked and was pleased I didn't. Threatens to shake all my crowns off.

11. steveandthedogs

If the toothbrush is doing that, I'd be worried about my crowns anyway. Or see another dentist.

S

12. steveandthedogs

Not difficult here!

S

ps mind you, which one? North, South, Anglesey, Caernarfon, Pontypridd...

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Imagine this said in the Welshest of Welsh accents:

I don 'ave a Welsh accent see, cos even tho I'm Welsh, I works in 'ereford evry day don't I?

Said by my very Welsh friend.

Catriona likes this.
  14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Pu-leese, a true Welshman would surely say "I works in 'ereford every day, isn't it?"

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Must be 'ereford rubbing off on her.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

There's me struggling to recall the sound of Raquel's voice...

Catriona likes this.
  17. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

On a related subject, why would anyone want to become a dental hygienist?

Spending one's working day torturing people seems an odd way to get job satisfaction.

18. dream_police

Mmmm I don't know. Torturing doesn't sound so bad, but working in some peoples mangy mouths... no thank you.

steveandthedogs and Geren like this.
  19. Charlotte Moon

Charlotte Moon Well-Known Member

Going back to the tooth brush, I have a sonicare and my sister has an oral B, hell does hers make a racket when she is brushing her teeth, they seem to sound like they have lose components in them rattling away, I swear by my sonicare brush, so only comparison I can make is the noise, also the head of the brush is like a normal tooth brush and isn't revolving on the sonicare, which I prefer, whereas the oral-B ones are round
    Hope that helps

Charlotte

20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I have a cheap Boots battery operated one which, combined with Pam Ayres' Oh, I wish I'd looked after my teeth, inspired me to write a tanka on the subject...

Teeth

I normally use
    ordinary batteries
    in my cheap toothbrush.
    Today I tried alkalines
    and my teeth are still buzzing!​