1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Tools

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by daft_biker, May 22, 2020.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Is this a topic worth exploring?

Since I'm still getting bikes to fix I thought I'd buy myself a set of hex keys to save wearing out my favourite multitool. Turns out my trusty old Topeak McGuyver might be over 20 years old and could cost something like £100 to replace with a "collector's item". Pic shows the wear on the old, well used 5mm hex key next to a new Bahco one....

old-tool.jpg

The old one seems to have fared remarkably well and should see many more years of use in the bottom of my biking bag.:)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The one on the right was my father in law's and probably dates back to the 1940s. I bought the one on the left sometime in the 1980s...

Wrenches TZ70 P1030621.JPG

RovingMike and daft_biker like this.
  3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Nice shot and reminded me of an old spanner I have and plan to use today...somebody wants a bike frame I was given free built with parts off a doner bike.

4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Depends how graphic you want to be. Tools can be either a fascinating individual study, or a hotchpotch the viewer can browse or dramatically lit can be almost abstract shapes.
    I remembered an exhibition at the local gallery. A Beetle car and on the wall, some mechanical parts on show. It was very arresting!
    beetle parts.jpg

daft_biker likes this.
  5. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Park brand make dedicated cycle tools (I’m guessing you’re familiar with the brand)

I work with a lot of tooling as my job is service/maintenance.

I mainly use modern tools, but own a few old school deflecting beam wrenches, and vintage vices.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

As I showed elsewhere. A collection from about 1939 to the present day.

[​IMG]P5150669 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

daft_biker and Catriona like this.
  7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, I have a few Park tools.....they've been about for years although they have a lot more competition these days. My Topeak and Wrench Force tools have lasted well too....IIRC Wrench Force is the bike tool brand from Snap-On.

park-tools.jpg

Should be a few more there but some tools get lost to the cause occasionally.

8. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

daft_biker likes this.
  9. alfbranch

daft_biker likes this.
  10. alfbranch

steveandthedogs, SXH and daft_biker like this.