1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tool that is the opposite to pliers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bazarchie, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

One for you engineers and DIY bods. I am trying to remove the filter on my FIL’s washer/dryer. The cap unscrews but the filter doesn’t as I assume it is jammed. There are two lugs on the filter but there is no space to grip them from the outside so what I am looking for is something to grip inside the lugs. Something like inflating a balloon inside a jar. Difficult to describe and I don’t have a picture. It is all plastic

If necessary I think I could use force to unscrew it but it would probably be damaged. Probably needs a new pump anyway.

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

You could try a pair of water pump pliers opened out to the internal diameter to engage with the lugs. It's how I unscrew the plastic screw caps on the 200l blue barrels at work.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I can’t visualise it. If a filter is meant to unscrew then you should be able to get at it but it probably needs the case off the machine.

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Similar to the insertion of a stent from the description...the balloon goes through the coronary artery, is inflated to clear the blockage and the stent is left as the balloon is withdrawn.
    Anyway the matter in hand, rubber gloves may give purchase, or if you have a silicon object, (mat to put hot items on).

5. PeteRob

Ok I watched a couple of videos - agree with Martin that water pump pliers might do the trick. The filter should just pull out.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not sure I'm visualising it right but would a pair of scissors work, by spreading your fingers in the opposite direction to closing the blades?

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Tongs? (As in barbecue tool not hairdressing)

Zou likes this.
  8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Vaginal speculum?

EightBitTony, AndyTake2 and spinno like this.
  9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Quite possibly.

10. Bazarchie

Good suggestions.

This is the best, but needs something stronger.

11. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

12. Bazarchie

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Can you fit an adjustable spanner head in there and then open jaws fully?

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No other suggestions, circlip pliers are what you need.

15. PeteRob

What make of machine is it? The videos I found for washing machine filters just showed a screwcap to which the filter was attached and just pulled out. I assume the filter is a bayonet fit to the cap. The filter itself in the videos was a loose fit in the holder. Did you try winding some cloth around your hand, then making a fist to grip the inside of the filter?

Edit: just a thought. Is there a filter in there? It is supposed to be attached to the cap. Are you trying to remove the filter housing, someone previously having taken the filter out and not replaced it?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  16. Bazarchie

Thanks Pete. I think the filter is supposed to be attached to the cap but because it is jammed, the cap just turns and is easily removed, but the filter does not move. It is unlike any filter I have seen before. Perhaps Neff make them difficult so that a new pump is the only option.

I don’t mind trying anything on my machines as I can only blame myself if it goes wrong. This attitude is more difficult on machines that are not mine particularly where the person is looking over my shoulder and panics at every move, even if he is well into his 90s.

17. PeteRob

Having watched a few more youtube videos - debris can jam the filter. They all show pump removal and extracting debris from inlet to filter via the pump assembly (filter holder inlet) - looks straightforward but involves (safely) tipping the machine to get in from underneath. I didn’t see a Neff video but they all seem to use the same basic approach.

Edit - having turned it off, power and water supply.

18. Bazarchie

Nothing worked so I had to use a screwdriver which damaged the filter. Completely filled with calcium deposits. New pump is my next step.

19. PeteRob

Then use Calgon tablets!

20. Bazarchie

Have you tried to tell a 93 year old what to do! He has never cleared the filter in 12/13 years.