1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Too small printed images

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by BrianWall, Oct 22, 2011.

1. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

This applies to many magazines, not just AP, but when something is illustrated by a before/after photo, the printed image is frequently so small that any differences between the images is hard to see. The Camera Skills supplement by Damien on page 39 is a case in point.

Clearly, printing larger images takes up more room but if there isn't the space there seems little point in just a small token. Yet these sorts of comparison can be very important.

I don't know the solution for printed media, but of course, on-line it is easy and very effective.

2. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

I do not have the page referred to in front of me however sectional areas shown in AP (and supplements) are printed at 150lpi/300ppi 1:1, beyond which software interpolation comes in to play. Think digital zoom.

As you have mentioned in printed media the page area given to such comparisons is limited (as is the print process itself, be it halftone or otherwise). Hence 1:1 sections. So far as AP is concerned, the representative areas chosen are those which it is felt best illustrate any differentiation and should be supplemented by a caption. The alternative is to 'enhance', for illustration purposes, any issues the caption should describe. Not a path AP follows.

3. BrianWall

BrianWall Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. It was the area given on the page which I felt should be greater, the better to show up the often nuanced differences being commented upon. There seems no solution to this other than to allow the editorial pages to expand which presumably has economic implications. Oh Well, thanks.:)